Talk

Advanced search

sahm for 9 years :( Need to do something...retrain.... but what? How do I work out what to dowith my life???

(5 Posts)
ErnestTheBavarian Wed 09-Jul-08 15:53:46

Before children I was a teacher (secondary).

After some major upheaval last year I decided I NEEDED to get back to work. Did a mat leave cover and decided I DEF. didn't want to return to teaching.

Now I've got a brand new baby and just moved to Germany, so working not possible right now.

Don't want to sit around for next 2/3/4 years - would like to use it constructively to do a course or something productive towards eventually, when baby ready, to go back to work.

But my brain has died and my will to live is ebbing away. I need to do something with my life and brain apart from kids. I have no idea what to do, or how to decide, or how long we'll be staying in Germany. How do you pluck a new career out of thin air? I feel depressed at the thought of not doing anything constructive. I feel trapped and can't see where my future is heading. 9 years as SAHM and now new baby shock She is WONDERFUL but I am now desperate for a goal and focus and life outside the home, but have no idea where to begin.

Mawma Wed 09-Jul-08 16:03:52

I'm the same been sahm for 9 yrs i'm on lookout for work when dd starts school in august, inbetween kids i worked nights in a bar and for a yr i was a childminder before having to give it up to do up a newly bought house( which we are still doing up a yr later). I keep myself busy but sometimes you just can't shake off your baby brain and think of something constructive to do, sometimes i yearned for an adult conversation. At the moment i'm looking into doing nightshift 2 days one week and 3 another so that i can sleep while kids at school and still be able to pick them up, no friends or family to help out. Ernest i think best thing for you at the moment would be to look into one day a week volunteer or a small course, see if you can have baby looked after or take baby with you and see where it takes you. I quite fancy working at our local hosp as an assistant or even being a security gaurd

ErnestTheBavarian Wed 09-Jul-08 18:36:36

bump

ErnestTheBavarian Wed 09-Jul-08 18:52:21

maybe posted in wrong place?

LJH2401 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:59:22

Have you looked into doing party plan over there? Believe it or not there is a decent career to be made out of it if you are business minded enough!

We have a couple of ladies who live on army bases and do really well out of it. I work for The Body Shop at Home, if you would like any more information let me know and I will find out how it works for you

Lisa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now