Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Hypothetical illness/childcare situation

(13 Posts)
Bumperlicious Tue 08-Jul-08 09:41:09

Message withdrawn

callmeovercautious Tue 08-Jul-08 13:38:51

Unfortunately this is very common and you are lucky (like me) to have flexible employers. If you are talking about the Company I am imagining then their HR is pants. They tried to tell my Sister she was not entitled to Holiday accrual whilst on Mat leave, then they said she was not entitled to the newest Maternity rights as her DS arrived earlier than expected so before the 5th April when the law changed. I wrote them a nice letter on her behalf and lo and behold they sorted themselves out!

I suspect the fact that DH is a man is going against him as well. Employers are so careful about women at work and their rights yet they forget men have very similar entitlements too. Use time off for dependants if you have to, if he is then disciplined/harrassed about it they are breaching his employment rights.

Bumperlicious Tue 08-Jul-08 17:36:00

Thanks CMC, so is everyone entitled to parental leave, even if it is unpaid?

mankyscotslass Tue 08-Jul-08 17:45:43

As far as I can remember you should be entitled to emergency carers leave, usually one or two days to allow you to get alternative childcare sorted. This is often unpaid.
You are also entitled to parental leave. I'm not sure now, but whan I was managing a team it had to be booked in advance and taken in blocks of one week, again unpaid. That's probably out of date now though!
The juggling act is a nightmare, I am now a SAHM, but DH had to take emergency leave twice last year, once because I had an awful D&v bug and was totally incapable, and the second when my mum was taken to hospital and I had to go with her and had nooen else to mind the kids. Hope you get it sorted soon.

callmeovercautious Tue 08-Jul-08 17:47:30

The time off is split into different allowances.

If he has been employed for at least one year he is entitled to Parental leave. This is for anyone with a child under 5 years old or 18 years if the Child is disabled. You can have upto 13 weeks off unpaid. Guidance is that the time should be pre-booked and taken in one week blocks, usually capped at 4 weeks a year. The employer can defer your request if they need you to work for business reasons.

In emergencies he will be looking at Time off for dependants which is seperate. There is no maximum time but it is intended for emergency situations like the one you outlined above. Again it is unpaid but he is entitled to call in absent and let them know he can't work one day because your Child is sick/you are too sick to care for the Child. He should not be forced to use up annual leave.

This web site has some good advice. look at work and families section

findtheriver Tue 08-Jul-08 17:58:50

Sounds as if you might be better organsising a bit of childcare to make life easier. You and your DH are both juggling part time work and childcare but seem to be flying by the seat of your pants. It's a lot to cope with, and you don;t want to feel resentful that your job has to defer to his all the time. Why not factor in an element of childcare (you and your partner still sharing the main care) and then you won't hit a crisis every time something like this happens.

Bumperlicious Tue 08-Jul-08 18:56:50

What do you mean findtheriver? Financially we wouldn't be much better off putting DD into FT childcare and both working FT so we decided that it wasn't worth it and we both wanted to look after DD ourselves. The job situation would be fine if DH's job were a little more flexible or understanding as my job manages to be.

If we were to put DD into PT child care we would still be in the same position when we were off so I'm not sure that we would be better off. In actual fact we are in the fortunate situation that if DD is ill (more likely than DH and I being ill, neither of us has to take time to look after her, whereas if she were in childcare we would.

Bumperlicious Tue 08-Jul-08 19:02:08

This is from the website (thanks CMC)

Time off for dependants (compassionate leave)

'Compassionate leave' is a term used to describe time off work to cope with personal circumstances. There is a statutory right called 'time off for dependants' which gives you the right to unpaid time off in some circumstances. When this right doesn't apply you will have to see what compassionate leave scheme your employer offers.
Time off for dependants

If you are an 'employee', you have the right to unpaid time off work to deal with emergencies involving a 'dependant' - a husband, wife, child or parent, or anyone living in your household as a member of the family. A dependant may also be anyone who reasonably relies on you for assistance. The right is not for long term care arrangements such as childcare or nursing a sick relative.

callmeovercautious Tue 08-Jul-08 19:28:36

Yes not for long term childcare but it is for one off days. Don't let that last bit fool you! If your DD caught chickenpox you would not ba able to use it for a whole week/2weeks leave but you can use it a couple of days each (we did a few weeks ago no problems, in fact our employers even paid us [smug] wink).

Bumperlicious Tue 08-Jul-08 20:28:54

What do you do CMC? (Ignore if you don't want to answer - I'm just nosy!)

callmeovercautious Wed 09-Jul-08 21:57:30

Oh am one of those boring HR people grin I work PT as an HR Officer for a manufacturing business. I miss challenges nowadays so I lurk around here hoping to help other MNetters out.

Bumperlicious Wed 09-Jul-08 22:48:48

Went back today and I got the day off as Special Leave - paid! Thanks for your help

callmeovercautious Wed 09-Jul-08 23:24:52

Yay grin Power of MN again. Glad we could all help. I feel I "paid it back" a bit now.

Gosh - I could be in a Union <shivers>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: