Talk

Advanced search

withholding my money

(9 Posts)
myermay Fri 28-Jan-05 16:49:25

Message withdrawn

twiglett Fri 28-Jan-05 16:59:01

hang on paid a month in hand .. you mean you work the month of December you get paid end December, then you have to work the month of January to get paid the month of January, right?

So you worked in December .. did you pick up a paycheck before christmas (or at end of December) if you did then you are evens with your both

you will have to work february to get paid in february

I am assuming you took January off as unpaid leave rather than holiday though?

or have I got totally the wrong end of the stick?

twiglett Fri 28-Jan-05 17:00:03

it sounds like she's working a get paid 2 months in hand (which is definitely NOT normal)

so when you started working did you have to wait 2 months to get paid?

myermay Fri 28-Jan-05 17:00:43

Message withdrawn

Snugs Fri 28-Jan-05 17:06:11

Now when people say 'month (or week) in hand' it simply means in arrears, but for the current month IYSWIM.

It used to mean that 1 months wage was actually withheld, so that no-one could walk out without giving proper notice if they expected to get money owed to them. Once common practice, but haven't heard of it for over 20 yrs.Sounds like what your boss is doing tho.

twiglett Fri 28-Jan-05 17:08:55

well if you've agreed to that then I think your boss is right .. you basically work for 2 months then get paid for the month before.

but don't forget when you finally leave she will owe you an extra month's wage

myermay Sat 29-Jan-05 09:36:37

Message withdrawn

sis Sat 29-Jan-05 10:10:28

Myermay, I think you are owed December's pay at the end of Jan irrespective of how much, if anything, you have 'earned' in January UNLESS the contract says that she will withold the equivalent of a normal months pay each month, which I doubt it does! You could make a claim for unlawful deduction from wages without leaving the company but of course, by the time it goes to tribunal, you will have been paid. If you just want to annoy her though, you could raise a formal grievance and appeal her almost inevitable decision not to pay you and then make a tribual claim - she will spend more more time (time = money?) sorting that lot out than if she had paid you in the first place!

myermay Sat 29-Jan-05 10:14:25

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now