Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your kills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

CRB check documents - school wants full birth certificate, but won't pay for it

(19 Posts)
LurkerOfTheUniverse Mon 16-Jun-08 17:41:22

Any advice would be great.

Recently started working in a school, CRB application was completed 6 weeks ago. I sent my passport, drivers license and birth certificate, HR said everything ok.

Now they are saying because my birth certificate is an abbreviated one and not the full version, they can't process it until I have ordered a new one.

It costs £24ish for a replacement, but they won't pay! I don't feel like I should pay them for the privilage of working for them.

What to do?

LIZS Mon 16-Jun-08 17:51:43

Can you not substitute it for something else ? I process CRB's and passport, driving licence(both parts) plus another form of id like a recent bill are usually ok.

LIZS Mon 16-Jun-08 17:54:25

This is the list - 1 from first section plus 2 from either.

flowerybeanbag Mon 16-Jun-08 17:56:22

Is it me or does it say on that list that full or short version birth certificates both acceptable?

LIZS Mon 16-Jun-08 17:57:48

Actually yes it does !

LurkerOfTheUniverse Mon 16-Jun-08 17:59:51

flowerybeanbag & LIZS

thank you - the list is printed and ready to show HR

MicrowaveOnly Mon 16-Jun-08 18:05:34

yes Lurker, look at the list of ID required on the front of the CRB form, there are other items you can use.

MicrowaveOnly Mon 16-Jun-08 18:06:19

oops sorry cross post - well done LIZS!!

wotulookinat Mon 16-Jun-08 18:08:00

I'm a teacher and I've had lots of CRB checks done and I have only ever used the short birth certificate as I don't have the full one.

TheProvincialLady Mon 16-Jun-08 18:11:35

It's only £24 ish for a replacement if you want it within 24 hours - otherwise it is about £8.00.

PInkyminkyohnooo Mon 16-Jun-08 18:13:41

I've done lots of CRB forms because I worked for lots of different clients, (and had to get people I commission CRB checked), and I've only got the little birth certificate, along with my passport. But a full driving licence would be fine instead, with a utility bill.

islandofsodor Tue 17-Jun-08 21:02:54

My husband CRB checks staff and I have had several done myself. Short certificate is fine.

bossybritches Tue 17-Jun-08 21:13:13

Ditto the above advice- I use one of the CRB agencies recommended by OFSTED & short birth certs are fine. If you have the CRB check through already who is it is querying it the scool or OFSTED?

popsycal Tue 17-Jun-08 21:17:30

I have had many enhanced crb checks done in over 12 years....never been asked for full birth certificate - in fact, I don't own one!

LurkerOfTheUniverse Tue 17-Jun-08 21:20:51

they have already seen my passport, so I took 3 other forms of ID from the list

JackieKizzi123 Tue 17-Jun-08 21:26:35

I check CRBs for part of my job - they should be fine with minimum one photo id (normally passport and/or photo driving licence) and minimum of 2 things with an address on (ie bank statement, utility bill or photo drivers licence has it on etc). However, the in theory, the more ID you provide, the quicker it might get processed by the CRB. They shouldn't have to see your birth certificate anyhow - let alone which version. Marriage certificates are normally useful if you have married and have changed your name. Or birth certificates if you haev changed your name by deedpoll or something like that. CRBs are currently taking about 2-3 weeks turnaround so thanks to them for holding it up for 6 weeks!!

If you are working in a school I presume they have List 99 and police checked you, risk assessed you and have you fully supervised at all times?! The school is supposed to adhere to the safeguarding children in schools safer recruitment policy - ie you should have a completed CRB before you start - unless you are a Teacher? then you can start before the CRB is in place I think.

LurkerOfTheUniverse Tue 17-Jun-08 22:00:34

JackieKizzi123, i am working as a science technician, so no direct contact with children.

I completed all the paperwork 6 weeks ago, HR still haven't processed it yet, been in the new job 2 weeks

Matey1 Sat 12-Jul-08 03:29:58

Sorry I know this post is a bit late, but have some info that might help.

The CRB only require 3 forms of ID, one of which should be major form of ID which includes a UK driving Licence, any nationality passport, original Birth certificate issued within 12 months of Birth or an EU ID Card. Along with the one major form of ID they should ask for two secondary forms of ID like utility bills , national insurance card, p45, Non-original Birth certificate etc I could go on but there are about 30 forms of ID that they can accept. So I believe in this instance the policy in this case is the schools or LEA’s and not the CRB’s.

One document must confirm Identity and it is strongly recommended that this form of ID has a picture, one must confirm DOB and once must confirm address and be dated within the last 3 months.

CRB stats are that approx 90% of all Enhanced results that are issued are issued within 4 weeks and approx 90% of all Standard results that are issued are issued within 2 weeks. There are some areas of the country where the Police are being put under a lot of pressure because of the sheer volumes of applications, so there are areas which are taking longer than others.

Under the DFES published document ‘Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education’ which came into force on the 1st January 2007 all staff on school premises regardless of whether they are a Gardner, cleaner or teacher must have a full Enhanced level disclosure (Standard no longer acceptable in schools) to work in a school. The guidance does allow some staff to start work if they have a cleared the fast track list99 check, however the other requirement given by DFES need to be met to do this and the staff members should be supervised if taken on, on this basis.

If you were in employment before the introduction of the CRB in 2002 then you will just have the old style Police Check or List99 clearance and not a CRB check. Currently are not required to get a CRB if you were are already in Post before the whole CRB system began (Some LEA’s may have different Policies on this), however as of January 2010 all employers will be asked to begin the process of checking all existing staff without CRB checks, however you will have a few years to get this all into place. (requirement of the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006). After August 2009 it will also become an offence to start a new member of staff in a school, nursery or other regulated environment without a CRB check and ISA registration,

Its worth looking up the new government ISA scheme at

Hope this helps

2littlemonkeys Tue 15-Jul-08 10:20:22

I have just got a new job in the neo natal unit at the local hospital as housekeeper (we all have to start sumwhere lol) I took in all my id for the crb and they wanted my full birth cert and marrage cert (had to pay for copy's) and i also took passport driveing license bank statement tax credit letter utilty bill, they where a pain.

They wont let me start till the crd comes back, i got offered the job on the 28th may and still have not been given a start date!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now