Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

TEACHERS - when do I have to resign by for Easter?

(24 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 18:31:27

Calling advice from any teachers (or nayone who knows really!)...

...I want to stop working at school asap, but in reality at Easter. The Easter term starts back on Mondat 4th April. So I want to terminate my employement as of that day.

So, when do I have to have my notice of resignation in by?

Thanks

Yorkiegirl Thu 20-Jan-05 18:32:17

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Thu 20-Jan-05 18:33:29

Don't know, sorry. Has it all got too much for you sweetie? Hugs to you.

For what it is worth I think that the profession has lost a damn fine teacher, but I understand that it is the right thing for you to do.

Are you going to look for another job, in a nicer school?

hercules Thu 20-Jan-05 18:35:07

I dont know Hulababy but congratulations on your decision. I hope it all works out for you

Yorkiegirl Thu 20-Jan-05 18:35:27

Message withdrawn

AuntyQuated Thu 20-Jan-05 18:49:53

is it 3 months officially but think most schools go with 'half a term'

sorry not much help

pootlepod Thu 20-Jan-05 18:53:57

I think you can finish when ever, although you would break your contract and be unlikely to work for your LEA again. That being said, it shouldn't affect your chances for working for another LEA.

I thought it was the end week of halfterm for the term you want to finish, but this term is short so expect it's quite soon.

I am giving up teaching tomorrow as I'm moving out the area, haven't decided whether to teach in the new area. It'll be a weird feeling.

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 19:02:13

Think I wi do it next week then.

NASUWT site said a minimum of 2 months, which would be4th Feb.

I am going to work at the prison more.

I am applying for an Advisor roles there, but won't know if I get that until after deadline. Applications have to be in for the 2nd Feb.

If I don't get that then I will work there on the same deal I have know. On temp contract, but with set days. The Education head is really keen to have me - she suggested the Advisors role for me - and is trying to guarantee me the same 3 days I have now. That won't be finalised for a couple of weeks though, but she doesn't seem to think they'll be any problems at all.

And new permanent jobs come up very often. There's also a numeracy and literacy (0.6) role going this week I think, which I may send details for.

In the prison I am an asset as I have QTS, which has just become a requirement for teaching there. Most other people are now having to work towards it in hteir own time.

Not as much money (slightly less) as Lecturers Pay Scale, not teachers. And on temp contract I don't have paid holidays (like supply). If I get the Advisor's job then I get 12 weeks holiday, taken when I want them - same as all the permanent lecturers jobs there.

So, at worst it could go pear shaped and by Easter I may only have 1 day's pay a week, but everyone is very confident that that will not be the case at all. DH has done the finances and we'd been fine temporarily for a while. The prison I work for has both an open and closed site, a seperate YO site and an immigrants centre, and I am able to work in any of those.

School is just too much now. I am stressed too often and it is affecting my heart and my psorasis on my scalp is now all over and weeping (yuk!) from it all. Not worth it. If there was support from management, great. But there isn't.

So, a change for me. Feeling nervous - seems a big step to leave school teaching - but I can always go back in the future if I want.

The Advisor's job is no teaching at all, but one to one stuff, which I kow I'd enjoy.

But, decision is made. I do feel slightly less stressed already but will feel better next week once the letter is in.

Thanks for all your support and help everyone; it has meant loads. And I will no doubt be still around asking for help with prep stuff (makes a change fromm discipline) for my inamtes

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 19:03:39

pootlepd - good luck with the move. It is a wierd feeling isn't it?

Found this on NASUT site:

1 All teachers shall be under a minimum of two months’ notice, and in the Summer term three months’, terminating at the end of a school term as defined in paragraph 1 above.

Lonelymum Thu 20-Jan-05 19:05:13

Have things changed since i taught? I always thought you handed in your notice by the half term before you wanted to leave, ie by Feb half term. But I supoose this term is rather short and it might be better to hand it in sooner rather than later. If you are sure it is what you want, why wait longer than tomorrow?

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 19:08:04

That is what I initially thought, but then realised that the next half term is only 4 weeks long. So I guess things may be differen for that.

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:54:59

Another question - sorry!

Just writing letter of resignation.

On date I want it to take affect from...when is that???

School starts back on Monday 4th April.

So is it as of the 4th? or the 3rd?

janeybops Thu 20-Jan-05 22:03:53

I always thought it had something to do with half term. If you want to leave earlier it is possible to request this to the GB.

pixiefish Thu 20-Jan-05 22:06:51

last day of this half term. friday before the half term hols

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 22:08:19

Not a chance they'd let me go early. Already massively understaffed, and me ging will leave my department with one member of staff - they still haven't replaced the Head of Department yet! If only - the thought of having to do the remaining 6 weeks feels like torture as it is But at least I can count down.

Just now have no idea what date to use. DH says put the Monday's date.

pixiefish Thu 20-Jan-05 22:09:15

sorry- my post was related to the resignation bit.

think the date for the letter should be the sunday of the week you're meant to go back-

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 22:09:16

pixiefish - but if I put that then they won't pay me for the holiday, and legally they are supposed to. For example, in Summer term - it is 31st Autumn - end of the school year.

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 22:09:51

Oh, crossed posts - so Sunday 3rd then? Will do it tomorrow

pixiefish Thu 20-Jan-05 22:13:33

3rd April? Yes I think so- If you were resaigning in the summer term then you'd be resigning on the 31st ugust wouldn't you/

Gosh I am so jealous Hula- freedom...

Dh and I have been talking about this- I'm so desperately unhappy- he wants me to hang on and finish this year though- supply'll be abit thin on the ground in the summer term won't it...

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 22:21:21

Oh Pixiefish; I feel for you. Keep checking out TES - there may be more stuff coming up.

I am moving right out of secondary teaching for a good while now. I can't do it anymore. I feel so stressed as soon as I know it is that time of the week again and, as I said before, it is starting to affect my physically too - heart palpataions are back and psorasis a nightmare.

And if I get this permanant advisors job (or even a different permanent job there) I get 12 weeks holiday - when I want them!

I do hope something comes up for you. I stuck it out as long as I could. Have my fingers crossed something turns up for you.

pixiefish Thu 20-Jan-05 22:30:20

TES doesn't cover my region unfortunately. We're a pretty closed teaching community adn I don't want to travel more than 30 mins. My rpesent school is a good 20 minutes.

I'm going to have to do supply I think and be a bit more frugal than I am now.

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 22:31:41

I see. Well, good luck with it all.

I travel about 50 minutes to the prison but worth it for the less hassle!

Hulababy Fri 21-Jan-05 08:28:21

Just sent for application form for the Advisers job

pixiefish Fri 21-Jan-05 09:05:18

GOOD LUCK with it Hula. Enjoy handing your resignation in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now