Talk

Advanced search

writers- journo types- how long should this take and how much should I charge?

(16 Posts)
Jimjams Sun 02-Jan-05 22:12:57

I've accepted a very short writing job for channel 4-only 500-800 words. I've been told to invoice them at 25 per hour. I've written the bulk of it in an hour(ish) and now need to fiddle wiith it and get it just right. I don't want to charge them for me faffing around- so wondered how long should it take me to write 800 words?

hunkermunker Sun 02-Jan-05 22:14:06

What's the subject? Did it involve a lot of research?

onlyjoking9329 Sun 02-Jan-05 22:15:57

off topic alert, how you doing Jimjams, wheres that baby ?

marthamoo Sun 02-Jan-05 22:18:54

I'm expected to produce about 280+ words in an hour (that's for research and writing fairly unpolished copy). I'd charge them for at least 2 hours and I would charge for the faffing about - that's often the hardest part!

Jimjams Sun 02-Jan-05 22:19:40

Not really hunker- just a how to revise guide- mainly my opinions and quick tips. Quite easy to write really.

Oh don't even go there onlyjoking I've tried the 3 c's with the exception of champage (and that was the one that sounded most enjoyable!) Gettiing worried as ds1 starts his new school on Thursday......

marthamoo Sun 02-Jan-05 22:20:40

Plus Channel 4 are rich!

unicorn Sun 02-Jan-05 22:20:42

well done jj...

I reckon it depends on how much research you have needed to do.. and also how much tinkering around with it afterwards.

aloha probably has a sensible idea of fees etc..

(I would say charge as much as you can!!!)

good luck with impensing baby drop!!!!

marthamoo Sun 02-Jan-05 22:21:28

Curry, champagne... copulation?

Jimjams Sun 02-Jan-05 22:21:37

ok cheers marthamoo- this can be fairly unpolished- I was thinking of charging for 2 hours- as that's how long it will take me- I just wasn't sure if I was being too faffy. OK will finish off tomorrow (hopefully having iit unfinished and a deadline will bring this baby on!))

hunkermunker Sun 02-Jan-05 22:22:57

When were you due, Jimjams (soz if a horrible thought - DS was 10 days late)

marthamoo Sun 02-Jan-05 22:23:58

You're welcome, JJ - though I'm not really an expert - SenoraPostrophe's my first and only "writing boss" and that's what I do for her!

Jimjams Sun 02-Jan-05 22:26:10

Only 2 days ago hunker- not sure they'll let me go 10 days over (2 previous sections so risks of nasties increase once overdue more than usual). Bit worried I'm going to be knifed as ds1 sets off for his new school (induction not an option- it would be straight to section).

Jimjams Sun 02-Jan-05 22:27:07

Hey I'm having a contraction!

warmmum Sun 02-Jan-05 22:28:54

Looks like you'd better finish it now!!

Jimjams Sun 02-Jan-05 22:32:25

I've been having them for days warmmum!

hunkermunker Sun 02-Jan-05 22:32:43

Oh wow! I feel very proud. I'm sure your Minijimjams wanted to tell me how overdue they were!

I think you should call your baby hunkermunker to celebrate.

Seriously hun - woohoo! I'm really excited for you! You're going to meet the person you've carried for nine months very soon! Wow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now