Talk

Advanced search

New job and just found out i'm pregnant

(9 Posts)
titchy77 Thu 31-Jan-08 13:25:08

I am due to start a new job next week with the nhs and have just found out i am pregnant, it wasn't planned but we are happy about it. i am now in a dilema as when to tell my employer, i am not sure how long the probationary period is, should i tell her before i start the job or wait until i've started?can they get rid of me if i tell them before my probabtion is up??
Any advice would be really appreciated. thanks

Rhumba Thu 31-Jan-08 13:47:01

don't think they can sack if you're pregnant oalthough could not extend beyond probabtionary but would have to be something unrelated to preg. Think you're fairly well protected to be honest. Are you in an NHS job at the moment cos I think you can carry service over which should mean full mat rights and NHS have good mat pay.

flowerybeanbag Thu 31-Jan-08 13:50:20

titchy77 congratulations!

You don't have to tell your employer until you are 25 weeks pg although most people do before then. The probationary period is a bit of a red herring, it's not a legal concept and in normal circumstances a new employer could get rid of you within a year quite easily regardless of whether someone passed their probation or not.
However if they sack you because you have told them you are pregnant that is unfair dismissal and sex discrimination. So they are unlikely to do that - from that point of view they are probably less likely to get rid of you if they know you are pregnant than if they don't!

I'd wait until you've started at least. You may choose not to say anything until 12 weeks, as lots of people do. I think most people tell their immediate boss earlier than that, sometimes you might be very tired or have morning sickness particularly during the first trimester, so it may help for your boss to know.

It doesn't need to be a problem, you'll still be there for quite a while yet, you have time to make a good impression, make progress in your new role, help plan for your maternity leave and set yourself up to be welcomed back with open arms when you have finished your maternity leave.

I don't know what the maternity policy is with the NHS, you will need to check that, but you won't be entitled to SMP as you won't have long enough service. Check whether the maternity pay at work has the same conditions attached, you may be lucky, or see here about Maternity Allowance which you may be entitled to instead.

stealthsquiggle Thu 31-Jan-08 13:52:31

You are reasonably well protected, I think, but unless being pregnant means that there are aspects of the job you will not be able to do for health & safety reasons I would be inclined to wait as long as you can legally (can't remember how long that is but from memory it is around the time when it typically becomes obvious anyway!) I found out I was pregnant in between accepting and starting a new job and left it as long as I could simply because it gave me more time to build up the good will I needed to get me through the following months.

Rhumba Thu 31-Jan-08 13:54:41

when you tell your employer they then need to do a risk asessment so I would tell them as soon as you fell happy to. if you have a problem lifting for instance you have no comeback if you have chosen not to tell.

willdaisymummy Thu 31-Jan-08 13:57:21

This happened to me twice!! It's a standing joke in ourhouse, if I want a baby change jobs!
First time I found out I was pregnant the day I started a new job, totally unplanned but over the moon. I left it til I'd been there 3 months, told them and they were great. It did mean I didn't qualify for mat pay though, missing out by 2 weeks. I was gutted as I'd been at my previous job 5 years, but I got Mat All off the Government which helped. Second baby was planned, I didn't go back to work but money was a rad short so I got a Sat job (at 28!) in a local store. 2 weeks in and I'm pregnant again I did wait til my 3 months probationary was up before I told them but tbh I wasn't that bothered about the job anyway. When I told them they were fab but I missed out on Mat Pay again.
It is a bit of a worry but I used to thnk, who on earth would dare refuse to extend a job because of a baby. Especially in the current compensation climate we live in.
Your bosses will be delighted for you, everyone loves a baby!

annimac Sun 31-Jan-10 14:26:39

I,ve just got a job in november at a hospital doing mental health never done it before but still awaiting for my crb to come back so i havent got a start date yet and now i have just found out im pregnent i dont know what to do.What would they say can they sack me?

piglet1986 Fri 04-May-12 10:18:46

Hi I'm in same situation how did it go for you. I have been offered a job yesterday as a support assistant for NHS at mk hospital but day before I found out I'm pregnant think I'm 6 to 8 weeks. I'm scared, stressed and upset as really want this job but so worried about telling them as probabtion is 13 weeks normally I aint starting for couple weeks till cbr is checked. I don't know what to do. Please help I don't want to lose my job before probabtion ends.

Paigeliya2012 Wed 18-Jan-17 05:47:20

Hello good morning, just a quick question been with my employer for 2 months and 1week an a Care Assistant, but I might be pregnant, how long after if it's positive should I tell my employer please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now