Work want to increase hours but will mean losing disability support

(6 Posts)
gladyspips Thu 14-Jan-21 08:35:28

I currently work 4 days a week, work want me to go up to 5.

Normally I'd say yes no problem, but I spend 3 hours on my day off learning BSL as I am hearing impaired - they do know about my hearing, it's been officially recorded with HR.

Can they make me increase my hours and miss the class?

OP’s posts: |
vdbfamily Thu 14-Jan-21 08:38:18

Is there a reason why you cannot do the learning outside of work time? Having said that, if you have A 4 day contract, I don't think any employer can force you to increase hours.

gladyspips Thu 14-Jan-21 08:40:49

Only that the class that I've been going to is run during the day! I'm sure there may be others, but I chose that one as it was on my day off!

OP’s posts: |
HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 14-Jan-21 08:49:39

Would they let you do that during work hours as a compromise?

Completely unrelated to your question but just make sure you really want to do 5 days a week, a couple of my colleagues have gone from 4 to 5 and really regret it!

Aprilx Thu 14-Jan-21 12:00:24

It is largely irrelevant what you do on your day off. An employer cannot unilaterally change an employees contract. So if you don’t want to do it say no.

Letsskidaddle Sat 16-Jan-21 15:59:52

As a PP said, make sure you REALLY want the extra day at work. I have regretted this in the past as I really cherished that one day totally to myself, and didn't realise just how much until I'd been doing 5 days a week! It's much harder (IMO) to request to drop back to the 4 days if you do regret it. They cannot force you to take on an additional day. It also seems a shame to miss out on the vital class and have to join a different one (will you fancy going of an evening or weekend after a 5 day week?). The extra money doesn't always make up for the change to your work/life balance I don't think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in