Term Time worker v Bank Holiday

(6 Posts)
peanutsmummy01 Sat 19-Dec-20 17:59:50

Hi there. Can anybody help me please? I work Term Time (full time hours) only but not in a school. I have been informed by my Manager that as the Bank Holiday in May 2020 was changed, I owe her a day! Normally, the Bank Holidays fall in the school holidays so it's not an issue. I have worked here for 10 years and have never had to 'pay back' a Bank Holiday eg didn't for the Queens Jubilee which was an added Bank Holiday - or was it the Royal Wedding?!. I have spent the last few hours trying to find info on the web but as it's quite specific, the answer isn't coming up. Many thanks all x

OP’s posts: |
flowery Sat 19-Dec-20 21:31:51

So you had an extra paid day off that you don’t normally get? What would you like to do? Is your manager proposing a deduction from pay or for you to work the day back?

Your argument would be that it was implied that you would get an additional paid day off- was there any discussion to give weight to that?

KihoBebiluPute Sun 20-Dec-20 08:17:13

You shouldn't be any better or worse off than a full time worker on the same pay point.

So work out how many days a full time worker on your pay grade would have worked in a year with all bank holidays as scheduled.

Your term time only contract should specify a known percentage of Full Time that you will work across the year, and you will receive a salary which is that percentage of the full time salary. That percentage applied to the number of days a full time worker would work is the number of days you should work.

So what does your contract say ?

Marmite27 Sun 20-Dec-20 08:19:52

Our term time working regs state that state for a standard grade worker there’s an anomaly and f one bank hol. You either don’t get paid or owe a days work.

It doesn’t effect me as I’m the next grade up and you get extra holiday allowance.

I’d say you either owe money or time back.

rottengreentomatoes Sun 20-Dec-20 08:24:22

What does your contract say? But yes you probably should have gone into work as usual. Or unpaid leave.

Aprilx Mon 21-Dec-20 04:11:46

You got an extra day off, it needs to come out of your allowance unless you were granted an extra day of leave.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in