Extra day holiday for birthday

(7 Posts)
Haver74 Mon 14-Dec-20 20:34:37

My company give everyone the day off on their birthday, but only if your birthday is on a weekday, so some years you wouldn't get the extra day.
But, my birthday is boxing day, so the office is always closed then! Which means I will never get an extra day and have 1 day per year less than everyone else. Am I wrong to feel a bit miffed?

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Mon 14-Dec-20 20:47:19

Of course you aren't.
What a ridiculous policy.
If they want to give people an "extra" day's holiday, then they have to give it to all staff or none (or pro-rata).

I would certainly raise it. It's not like it is something that is ever going to change for you - or anyone else who has a birthday on any of the 'fixed date' BHs.

Haver74 Mon 14-Dec-20 20:55:21

Thank you! I'm really not sure how to broach it, as the MD is a bit of an unpredictable character.
It's clearly unfair though.

OP’s posts: |
underneaththeash Mon 14-Dec-20 21:40:33

Could you suggest that you get an extra day for your half birthday instead?

flowery Mon 14-Dec-20 21:45:43

Companies who do this normally allow those whose birthdays fall on a weekend or bank holiday to take it the next working day. Very odd that your MD doesn’t have the same policy.

Aprilx Tue 15-Dec-20 10:29:51

No you are not wrong to be miffed and I would raise it.

I have only worked at one place where they had the birthday leave day and it was possible to take it any day that month. It is very surprising that management have not noticed how unfair their policy is.

Strawberrypancakes Tue 15-Dec-20 10:34:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in