where do i stand?

(5 Posts)
crushed2021 Mon 14-Dec-20 17:12:36

Looking for some advice really - have no idea where I stand with a current HR issue at work.

Background is that approx two years ago, I was given a much wider remit to manage with the promise of a new job title in due course. I was given more money to compensate. However, the driving factor for me was to support career advancement and broaden my knowledge and skillset. I have career aspirations that I was hoping this would help me achieve.

Unfortunately, being given this new responsibility was not thought through very well and has created a tricky situation whereby I received no extra support to do this bigger role and there has been a lot of stalling around the new job title. Covid didn't help with various work processes being put on hold and so things just kept stalling.

I work in a very fast paced environment and at times have also been covering gaps in my teams where we had vacant posts. So all in all, a very challenging couple of years - always with the promise of a new job title - and never receiving support to take on this new area. I've essentially been firefighting throughout.

I've now been told that my new responsibilities and management of the team need to change back to the structure from two years ago since 'things have changed' there's a 'new context' and the situation where I have no support can't be resolved as there's no way we can change the structure.

After two years of doing this wider role with no hint of any performance issues at all, I'm feeling pretty upset about this.

Do I have any recourse here? Am I being demoted? My head is spinning from this. Any advice would be really helpful - so thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
EverybodystalkingaboutJamie Mon 14-Dec-20 18:58:15

Has your salary been reduced?

NRE20 Mon 14-Dec-20 18:58:28

If your title hasn’t changed and your increased salary stays the same, then it might not be a demotion, but I can understand why you’re unhappy. Do you have alternative solutions you could give them? They may respond better if you have ideas about how it could work. For example, are they other people that could handle other parts of your role that you had originally, to free you up for this more advanced stuff? Is there a manager that you think could help you that you could have a weekly meeting with?
You don’t have to just accept the new situation. You can tell them that you enjoy the new role and feel like you’re taking a step backwards by going back to your old role and ask THEM if there’s an alternative solution, to encourage them to give it further thought. You don’t ask, you don’t get!

crushed2021 Mon 14-Dec-20 19:44:59

Thank you for the advice. So far I don’t know if there are further implications like a cut in salary as this was all raised in my usual 1-1 meeting without warning! I can try to talk to them about this yes. I
We have been talking about how to get more support over the last year, but given the lack of resource, nothing has yet been found. So I guess this is my line managers answer.

OP’s posts: |
Aprilx Tue 15-Dec-20 10:27:28

I can understand that you are not happy with the situation and it could feel like you are going backwards. However your job title never changed and so long as your increased salary is not impacted, I can’t see that you would have any recourse in law. It doesn’t really sound like the new structure worked out and so management have reorganised, which seems reasonable.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in