Career over time with my child ?

(3 Posts)
Chancey05 Wed 04-Nov-20 22:07:15

My dilemma,
Ive been offered the job I've been wanting for years, (civil service great security, pensions chance to progress etc) however, it's full time - shift work😣 . My current job is part time; 3 days a week.
I have a 1 year old boy and childcare isn't really an issue at my current job, as he stays with grandparents and childminder 1 day a week ) . ive been working at the same place for 10 years now and the only thing good about it is the hours.
By taking the new job, I'd be missing out on a lot of time that I'd usually get to spend with my son. I feel like I'd be missing out on a lot. Also I'd have more to pay out for childcare so wouldn't be really gaining much, money wise in per month . The new job would be a career and something I've wanted to do for a long time. Just dont know if it would be worth losing out on the time with my son and to mess around family with changing shift patterns etc ...feel like children are only young once and I might miss out and totally regret leaving the part time role ....🥺🥺 anyone had any similar experience x

OP’s posts: |
AIMD Thu 05-Nov-20 01:03:27

Could you apply, work it for 6 months or so and then request to move to part time, or apply for a similar role with part time hours after gaining experience?

My dad work in the civil service and my understanding is that they are first family friendly...well relatively.

dontdisturbmenow Thu 05-Nov-20 08:10:11

No one can advise you. Mother's working PT will tell you that you can't have the time with your child back and no job is worth missing out on it.

Mother's working FT will tell you that time goes quickly and before you know it, your child won't care so much about you being around and you don't want to later regret not having taken this great opportunity. They'll bring up that working FT means security if your relationship were to end it future independence from benefits if you're a single parent.

Ultimately, working PT in your current role most likely meets best your present needs, working FT meets best your future needs that will become your present before you know it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in