Any TU rep or anyone working in HR??

(16 Posts)
LittleHeathMum Fri 02-Oct-20 21:16:39

I hope everyone is well.
I'm currently going through a grievance process at work, and I feel that the HR manager (overseeing the grievance) isn't being neutral.

I was wondering if maybe there were any TU reps or anyone working in HR that could give an objective 3rd party opinion? Obviously I wouldn't give any names or company details.

There is quite a bit of info, that's why I feel it may be better in a one2one/PM discussion.

I'm new to this, and hope what I've requested is ok. smile

OP’s posts: |
throwingawaymyshot Sat 03-Oct-20 06:53:09

HR will never be neutral. They work for the company or are hired by them. You should join a union although it will be too late now as they only help with things after you joined them. You might want to try speaking to ACAS or having a look at the formal grievance website. I speak from personal experience and as an HR adviser myself - HR are not on your side, they are trying to save the company's reputation. Fortunately I have a shit hot union official.

charlieclown Sat 03-Oct-20 07:12:24

Surely if you are submitting the grievance you are not neutral, and it is not easy for you to judge the impartiality of the person considering it?

Do you mean they are not agreeing with you? I see lots of grievances, and many don't have anything to suggest the actual grievance was warrented. Although in every occasion the investigator does make recommendations of practice improvements which are normally useful and implemented.

LatteLover12 Sat 03-Oct-20 07:15:09

If you're not part of a TU yourself then contact ACAS for independent advice. Good luck.

user1487194234 Sat 03-Oct-20 08:18:37

As pp said HR are in the side of the employer
Join a union or take legal advice

flowery Sat 03-Oct-20 11:26:33

Presumably HR are not hearing the grievance? Just overseeing the process? If there are aspects of the process you feel are unfair, you should raise that.

WitsEnding Sat 03-Oct-20 11:31:45

HR are there to observe that the legalities are being followed (ime, to the extent that they expect the employee to know the law) and help the manager to run the meetings and admin.
They are there to support the company, the TU is there to support you - if you are a member, of course.

ChaChaCha2012 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:32:59

Why are you not a union member?

You need to contact ACAS if you need advice now, not expect a freebie from a TU that you couldn't be bothered to pay for before!

Hakunamatata91 Sat 03-Oct-20 20:09:35

Although HR's job is to look after the interests of the company, you do have the right to have your grievance fairly decided. Part of being fairly decided is that it is decided by someone capable of acting neutrally, so if HR are deciding your grievance they should be doing so with a "neutral hat" on. That's the theory, in reality if they think they can get away with an outcome that makes things easier for the company then some HR people will do that, even if it isn't what a neutral observer would think. If this grievance is important then I'd suggest speaking to an employment lawyer. They should be able speak to you, look at the paperwork, and tell you pretty quickly if there's any major problems. If its something important to you, the cost is worth it (if you can afford it). The difficulty with you telling someone here about the situation is that with the best will in the world, you will tell things from your point of view. That makes it difficult to give you informed advice - and telling you that the process is biased if its not is likely to just cause unnecessary issues for you at work. If a solicitor isn't an option then ACAS and your local Citizens' Advice Bureau would be the next best thing (personally my experience with TU reps is pretty variable even for paid members, I'm not sure how joining to get advice would go).

Lookingoutside Sun 04-Oct-20 17:21:38

HR aren’t neutral. They’re there to protect the interests of the company. Are you in a union?

LittleHeathMum Sun 04-Oct-20 21:05:56


OP’s posts: |
flowery Mon 05-Oct-20 08:12:57

Can you say what it is the HR manager is doing that concerns you OP?

PleasantVille Mon 05-Oct-20 08:15:46

Please don't trust your personal information to a stranger who contacts you via a forum. They could be anyone at all.

Get proper advice from someone you can check is qualified to give it. It's a little cheeky to expect someone to help you in this way imo

LittleHeathMum Mon 05-Oct-20 21:59:35

Thank you so much for everyone's advice.
I had actually spoken to acas, but they weren't able to help as it was not a legal issue, but a grievance. I'm not a member of a union, as where I work I wasn't aware there was a union I could join - no one here is a union member.

I've now emailed my situation (without company details or staff names) and questions to my local Citizens Advice Bureau. I sent it on Saturday just gone. Does anyone know how long CAB normally take to reply to emails? I was hoping to have another meeting with HR manager & the CAB reply could be something that helps.

OP’s posts: |
kissmysass Mon 05-Oct-20 22:34:24

As an FYI for the future, just because your work place isn't unionised doesn't mean you can't join a union of your choosing and ask their assistance in this sort of stuff. If there isn't a union recognised within your work place there are differences in what you can/can't do in terms of union representation but its still worth being a union member. Peace of mind, advice etc.

user1487194234 Tue 06-Oct-20 11:04:17

My understanding is that the CAB are pretty overwhelmed at present

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in