Only one toilet at work

(12 Posts)
insancerre Wed 30-Sep-20 13:29:57

Help
What are the requirements for toilets at work
We have only one staff toilet and there are 10 of us that work here
The toilet is also used as a baby changing area so is often not available
I find myself holding it in very often and only going once a day
What should they be providing and what can I do about it?

OP’s posts: |
SassenachWitch Wed 30-Sep-20 13:43:46

According to HSE 1-5 people = 1 toilet, 6-25 people = 2 toilets, plus the same amount of washbasins.

whatisforteamum Wed 30-Sep-20 13:50:56

We only have one and it is never cleaned! Beyond disgusting.😢

daisychain01 Wed 30-Sep-20 15:01:27

The thought of having to share a toilet with the Male of the species fills me with disgust. I'd sooner find a bush to squat behind, it's that dreadful.

serialreturner Wed 30-Sep-20 15:02:37

Boke.

ClaudiaWankleman Wed 30-Sep-20 15:04:39

The thought of having to share a toilet with the Male of the species fills me with disgust. I'd sooner find a bush to squat behind, it's that dreadful.

In any situation? With a brother, father, husband, son, at a restaurant, on an airplane, at a campsite?

The hyperbole is too much.

ApolloandDaphne Wed 30-Sep-20 15:10:53

I am a retired social worker. The office I worked in had 3 toilets, all unisex. When we were using the interview suite there was only one loo that could be used and that was also the one that the public could use while waiting in the office and the disabled toilet. There were at least 4/5 men working in the office and maybe 15 women and we all just shared the loos. There were never any issues and the men didn't make the loos dirty, although sometimes they left the seat up. I struggle to understand how some people get through life angsting about such trivia.

happytoday73 Wed 30-Sep-20 15:16:00

Agree with previous poster.... You need to show them workplace Reg guidance... Here is link to free copy of ACOP
www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l24.htm
Reg 21...

daisychain01 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:25:02

ClaudiaWankleman

*The thought of having to share a toilet with the Male of the species fills me with disgust. I'd sooner find a bush to squat behind, it's that dreadful.*

In any situation? With a brother, father, husband, son, at a restaurant, on an airplane, at a campsite?

The hyperbole is too much.

Please don't question my preference. It's my opinion, and valid as it stands.

But if you insist on clarification - if it was a unisex public toilet (eg a restaurant, I would choose not to, unless I was absolutely desperate.

If it's at work, thankfully we have F and M toilets not unisex.

I'm not talking about males in my family, I can just about tolerate them, I'm talking about random men whose personal habits I have no visibility of, but know in general they are very unsavoury, hence my comment, the thought puts me off.

daisychain01 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:30:00

If it's at work, thankfully we have F and M toilets not unisex.

That said, I walked into the ladies and there was a random man in one of the cubicles having a wee, but with the door open. I don't know who was more embarrassed, me or him, but I promise I didn't beat him up, screaming blue murder, it was all very civilised and friendly - I just dived into the next cubicle and muttered "I think you're in the Ladies" - and hoped he washed his hands on the way out!

vanillandhoney Wed 30-Sep-20 21:47:20

My last job had this. It was a small shop and no room for another toilet - ten staff and one (fully enclosed) toilet and sink. I think in a lot of small businesses it's standard to just have the one shared loo.

Not ideal but they had no choice. There was no room to build another and the shop couldn't be expanded as there was nowhere for it to go!

EarthSight Mon 05-Oct-20 17:18:12

daisychain01

Lol. Get thee to the Women's Rights forum. That is a hot topic!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in