Help me deal with this please

(6 Posts)
whatisforteamum Wed 30-Sep-20 11:57:12

The industry I work in is dominated by younger people.It is physically demanding so early 30s is the top age.I am 54!
I have experienced older women working then not being able to relate to the lifestyle or banter of the team and they have left or been ostracised or bullied out.
Where I work now this is beginning to happen to me.Luckily I have managed to relate to younger team members until now.
I find them unmotivated, disrespectful and sometimes lazy.Obviously I would normally go elsewhere to where people are hard working and self motivated but with the current job situation I am only going to do this as.a last resort.
I know someone will say just do your job and go home but my job is a lifestyle choice as I don't get home until late.
How can I stop their poor attitudes draining me daily?
I used to be a workaholic.

OP’s posts: |
whatisforteamum Wed 30-Sep-20 12:56:41

Anyone relate to this ?

daisychain01 Wed 30-Sep-20 14:58:50

*Where I work now this is beginning to happen to me.Luckily I have managed to relate to younger team members until now.
I find them unmotivated, disrespectful and sometimes lazy*

The question that springs to mind is that from what you've said, you used to get along with your colleagues but something has now changed? Can you expand on that - why is it that you used to get on but not any more? Have they picked up that you have a low opinion of them?

Can you find any common ground with them, even if they are at a completely different stage of life?

If you're all working remotely can you ping maybe one of the more receptive members of the group and have a virtual cuppa with them. If you extend the hand of friendship you may find them to be more engaging. Personally I genuinely don't feel the need to get too invested, other than being pleasant, cheerful, a little bit chatty without overdoing it, but generally we are all getting on with our jobs in very difficult circumstances.

whatisforteamum Wed 30-Sep-20 15:19:58

I work in the same confined room with them.They are guys and I am a meno woman which has taken some adjusting to.No I can't very well have a cuppa with a 20 yr old lad it would look very odd.
Perhaps it is just me then and the silly irritation s of work dragging me down.10/12 hours previously it would be nice to be on the same page.

daisychain01 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:35:35

whatisforteamum

I work in the same confined room with them.They are guys and I am a meno woman which has taken some adjusting to.No I can't very well have a cuppa with a 20 yr old lad it would look very odd.
Perhaps it is just me then and the silly irritation s of work dragging me down.10/12 hours previously it would be nice to be on the same page.

I didn't realise they were all men!

I think your employer needs to do a better job employing a more diverse workforce than all men (apart from you) and all the same age group. Whatever industry it is, it could still do with more women to balance things up!

Sorry I don't have a solution based on the information you've given. Maybe keep your eye on Indeed.com or similar, and try to find a more enjoyable job - not what you want to hear, I know but sometimes a broke situation just cannot be fixed.

whatisforteamum Wed 30-Sep-20 19:51:39

I have applied to two places.The first time I have been turned down for interviews in over 30 years.That said I could still find a job it is the security I would rather have right now.
The majority of colleagues are lovely supportive and fun.There is no discipline since the older team members left so I just look like the stick in the mud for being organised.Everyone else is a guy that lives at home,not a parent with grown up dcs!.
Thank you for replying though.Much appreciated Daisychain01.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in