References

(15 Posts)
maisiemoolou Fri 18-Sep-20 20:25:57

I started a new job four weeks ago. My manager from my previous work place messaged me earlier this week to say she need my NI number to forward onto HR so they could provide a reference to my new employer. This was Wednesday.
I got an email from HR today saying that my old manager had been in touch to say she didn't feel able to provide a reference for the time scale I was there.
Can she do this or is it a badly worded email off my new employer?
My colleague read the email after I asked him what he thought and said it was probably just badly worded and if I only gave the info required on Wednesday, it might not have come through yet to my new enough if that makes senses.

OP’s posts: |
maisiemoolou Fri 18-Sep-20 20:27:11

Sorry that should say it might not have come through yet to my new employer

BashfulClam Sat 19-Sep-20 01:21:29

It sounds as though your previous employer have refused to provide a reference.

flowery Sat 19-Sep-20 08:25:32

How long were you at the previous job?

Florencex Sat 19-Sep-20 09:21:35

Why do you think it is badly worded? confused. It seems clearly worded to me.

Were you not at the previous pace for very long? Surely they only need confirmation of employment dates anyway, nobody gives “references” any more.

prh47bridge Sat 19-Sep-20 10:20:42

An employer does not have to provide a reference. However, it is unusual for them to refuse to even provide a factual reference stating your dates of employment.

Hoppinggreen Sat 19-Sep-20 11:44:50

Maybe your manager isn’t able to give one as it’s within HRs remit not his/hers?

yeOldeTrout Sat 19-Sep-20 11:46:43

come on Maisie, be truthful. Did your ex-manager like working with you?

daisychain01 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:16:38

All you need to get from your previous employer is dates of employment and role title so it shows you were employed there and what you did.

It's not reasonable or cooperative of them to refuse outright, it's normally a very standard thing for HR to send the factual reference to your new employer.

maisiemoolou Sun 20-Sep-20 10:43:28

I was there for 12 months. I took redundancy and went self employed.
Due to a nasty accident whilst being self employed I went back because people around me were saying quit, find another job, it will be less hassle etc.
The first day of being back I knew I'd made a mistake but thought it would be fine once I settled back in. My manager was fine. A few people there had issues with her, but I can say she was always ok with me.
We then got a new deputy manager who was a right piece of work. The way she was with me was awful. To the point were I started not wanting to go to work, so this made me want to find something else even more.
I knew the manager wasn't too impressed when I handed my notice in, she was on holiday so I had to give it to the deputy. She said her and the manager had been waiting for this as they knew I wasn't happy and hadn't been for a long time.
I thought that HR just passed on a general reference stating the timescale you worked there.

Florencex Sun 20-Sep-20 12:06:04

Why is your manager dealing with a reference? HR do this.

CoronaIsWatching Sun 20-Sep-20 12:08:20

You should have just given them a friends email address and have the friend complete the reference for you. That's what most people do nowadays to rent flats/new job

maisiemoolou Sun 20-Sep-20 12:46:45

After having a think over the weekend I think HR are dealing with it, as she asked for my IN number to forward onto HR because my new employer was wanting a reference. Why would she say this if she was dealing with it direct?

Florencex Sun 20-Sep-20 14:52:02

CoronaIsWatching

You should have just given them a friends email address and have the friend complete the reference for you. That's what most people do nowadays to rent flats/new job

It really isn’t.

BashfulClam Sun 20-Sep-20 22:10:03

CoronaIsWatching

I have never done this and neither has anyone I know. My new employers have always wanted previous employers contact not some random mate!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in