Started a new job and I hate it. Advice please.

(15 Posts)
Workproblem123 Sun 06-Sep-20 12:51:22

I have name changed for this as feel I may end up having to stick the job out for a while in the current climate.
I was made redundant last month because of a downtown in business due to covid 19. The career I was made redundant from is something I have done since leaving college but there is no hope in the foreseeable future of getting back into this industry.
My ex boss kindly referred me for an interview for another job with someone he has business dealings with. This new job was in an entirely different industry but I had skills that could be transferred. I was offered this job and started last week. It became apparent upon staring that a very large part of the job involves something I have no experience in and something that normally involves months of training. I was given one days training and basically told to get on with it. I feel totally out of my depth and it is never something I would have chosen to do.
I really don't know what to do. In normal times I would hand my notice in immediately and look for something else but jobs are hard to come by at the moment. On the other hand it will be hard to attend interviews whilst I am at this job pretty much 9-5 Monday to Friday. I really don't know what to do and am thoroughly miserable at the thought of going back there tomorrow. Any advice appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
DoubleDessertPlease Sun 06-Sep-20 13:44:31

Have you asked about any further training? Are they making requests for deadlines with this work, or are you being allowed to work at your own pace and pick it up/learn on the job? Do you think it’s something you’d enjoy/further your career if you did get up to speed with it?

Sounds like a challenging/unfair environment, but as long as you can go at your own pace then it might be worth sticking it out. If they start putting demands for deadlines you know you can’t make then I’d discuss further with them, and if they’re inflexible then look to move. Good luck I hope it works out ok!

SnuggyBuggy Sun 06-Sep-20 15:33:43

Do you think it's something you could learn to do with appropriate training or is it something that's not something you're likely to get to grips with?

daisychain01 Sun 06-Sep-20 15:42:34

a very large part of the job involves something I have no experience in and something that normally involves months of training.

If the skills you need for this job are such a significant chunk of the job, I'm surprised it was never discussed at interview - didn't they ask for evidence of or event broach the subject of the Essential Skills needed, as it would have been clear then that you didn't fit the criteria?

daisychain01 Sun 06-Sep-20 15:43:07

event = even

Workproblem123 Sun 06-Sep-20 19:10:15

I was advised it was an element of the job and that I would receive adequate training. I was not advised that it was pretty much 80 percent of the role. They were fully aware of my background and experience when I was offered the job.
It is not something I would have chosen to do full time and not something I have a natural aptitude for. I am working alongside the directors who are thrusting the work at me with the expectation I know what I am doing after just a days training. I just feel overwhelmed.

dooratheexplorer Sun 06-Sep-20 21:01:58

What job is it?

HaggyMaggie Mon 07-Sep-20 14:34:58

I feel for you, I’ve found myself in a similar situation and it’s making me ill.

Workproblem123 Mon 07-Sep-20 17:30:56

The job is bookkeeping. I haven't got a clue and am completely out of my depth. I am just sat in an office staring at a computer screen, no one to talk to and cant even see out a window. It is just miserable. How long have you been in your new job HaggyMaggie?

daisychain01 Tue 08-Sep-20 21:49:20

I somehow knew you were going to say accounting aka book keeping!

They are completely unreasonable to pile pressure on you, even if you did have book keeping experience, when you're so new in the role.

If you have zero aptitude for the most important element of the job, I don't see how you can grin and bare it when they'll be expecting their books to be balanced.

I would start applying for new jobs if I were you. Let's face it, there's going to be a time delay between applying and actually getting an interview. Take it one step at a time, and see what happens. Deal with taking time off as and when you need to. You'll have accrued 2 days' annual leave soon and can take the odd half day off here and there, or can ask for a late interview if necessary and arrange to leave work early or come in late.

LAlexander7 Tue 08-Sep-20 22:54:11

Fake it till you make it.

Oblomov20 Wed 09-Sep-20 08:05:45

I too knew it was book keeping. I do book keeping and accounts. People underestimate what a skill it is, it takes a long time to get the skills to REALLY know what you are doing.

Please speak to them about the fact you need more training. If they aren't forthcoming, your'll have to increase your job searching.

Dontforgetyourbrolly Wed 09-Sep-20 08:08:37

I've just been made redundant due to my industry suffering knock on effects from covid , I've psyched myself up to grin and bear it with any job I can find until things pick up .
Sympathies OP, it's not an easy time

Breakingthewaves Thu 10-Sep-20 23:37:49

Same here - I'm basically working for less than my 20 yr old son for the hours I'm doing after 30 yrs in the industry I'm in. It's so awful that the Covid situation means that I have to put up and shut up or end up on Universal Credit. I'm 50 next year so really don't feel like I have a choice - sorry you're going through this. Keep looking and applying for alternatives and try and stick it out if you can - that's what I'm trying to do.

Cazz246 Wed 16-Sep-20 12:00:34

Hi I was in a very similar situation, I had a new job NHS as a senior Healthcare Support Worker, that was the role I applied for and was offered. However, after 3 weeks the reality dawned on me that, in the following 3 weeks I was going to be running a complex wound clinic as a qualified nurse.
I had never worked in wound care before and was promised all the training I would need and would e working alongside a nurse.
I was given very limited training by another reluctant HCSW, they might as well have asked the Admin lady to run run the clinics as she had no more experience than me.
Needless to say , I would be accountable for any mistakes, the stress was too much. I resigned after 3 weeks, no job to go to . I had just resigned from a five year post to go to this clinic. So, that’s 2 jobs I’ve got through this year.
I definitely feel I made the right decision for my health, although I miss the monthly payment!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in