Talk

Advanced search

Job ideas

(20 Posts)
WhereDoWeGo Fri 04-Sep-20 20:33:01

Hi. Does anybody have any ideas on jobs I can do that will fit in with 3 hours a day nursery hours?
Has anybody had the same problem & worked it out?

I've been googling but I'm coming up blank, I have emailed some home care companies and told them the hours I'm available so just waiting to hear back.

I used to work in care & I'd love to get back into that field if I have a choice. However cleaning or anything really I'd be happy with, I just want to be working now!
I've looked into work from home but generally they need you to have a computer/at least be able to work a computer & I barely can.

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Sat 05-Sep-20 06:07:50

I've looked into work from home but generally they need you to have a computer/at least be able to work a computer & I barely can.

I'll be honest in giving you a reality check that if you can "barely" work on a computer then you are going to have significant challenges being able to work from home.

Your options are therefore things like retail work (which can be very flexible so that's a plus for you), domestic or commercial cleaning (which could fit around nursery), gardening, anything where you are your own boss to a certain extent and negotiate your own hours easily with clients.

Do please consider getting yourself some basic computer training though, it's a massive gap not being able to do anything computer-based!

lookatmememe Sat 05-Sep-20 06:22:57

I used to do cleaning /ironing /book work type jobs when my little one was in nursery. ( long time ago !)

WhereDoWeGo Sat 05-Sep-20 06:26:42

Hi. Thanks for answering daisychain. It's ok, I don't mind a cold hard dose of reality & I know you are right! It's because all my previous jobs were in care & they were behind the times themselves with all paperwork still being written.
I had a lady from the wellbeing service re-do my CV with me over lockdown but she didn't help with actually finding work.

I'm looking heavily into cleaning as I think that is most likely what I can find to fit the hours, I'm toying with the idea of making up some leaflets to drop them into the houses around school, but I'm not sure that's the 'done' thing these days, & also I'm a bit wary about posting my phone number through strangers doors, or am I being silly?

WhereDoWeGo Sat 05-Sep-20 06:29:21

Thanks lookatme I don't have anybody in the same situation to talk this thro with. All of the mums at school who I talk to are doing uni or jobs with longer hours with heavy family help, which I don't have.

ivfbeenbusy Sat 05-Sep-20 06:31:13

To be honest 3 hours a days is going to get you no where. You'd be better condensing the 3 hours of nursery per day into 2 days of full time work and then you're likely to have more options/be more employable

OverTheRubicon Sat 05-Sep-20 06:33:43

Is your DC 3 or 2? If they're 3 and you're in work you'll get 30 hours and that can be enough to actually take on more jobs. 3 hours is so little by the time you drop them and go back to pick up.

WhereDoWeGo Sat 05-Sep-20 06:52:52

ivfbeenbusy I know but it's 3 hours a day at the school nursery.
I can add a forth hour for lunch but theres no other leeway.

OverTheRubicon They are 3. Starting school next September. Yes I get confused about how the extra hours works, is it that I find a job for 30 hours & then apply for extra nursery hours?

DianaT1969 Sat 05-Sep-20 07:08:18

Instead of printing flyers you can download NextDoor app to your phone and look how other people are advertising their cleaning services free on there. You could use your middle name when you sign up for a degree of privacy.

WhereDoWeGo Sat 05-Sep-20 07:32:20

Thanks Diana, that's something I wouldn't of thought of.

welshladywhois40 Sat 05-Sep-20 08:13:52

WhereDoWeGo

Hi. Thanks for answering daisychain. It's ok, I don't mind a cold hard dose of reality & I know you are right! It's because all my previous jobs were in care & they were behind the times themselves with all paperwork still being written.
I had a lady from the wellbeing service re-do my CV with me over lockdown but she didn't help with actually finding work.

I'm looking heavily into cleaning as I think that is most likely what I can find to fit the hours, I'm toying with the idea of making up some leaflets to drop them into the houses around school, but I'm not sure that's the 'done' thing these days, & also I'm a bit wary about posting my phone number through strangers doors, or am I being silly?

That's how we found our cleaner - lady was going door to door on our estate - we are a new build so a good catchment area. If you are worried about giving your number out set up a separate work number

NachoNachoMan Sat 05-Sep-20 08:24:04

To get 30hrs free you need to work the equivalent of 16hrs at minimum wage.

If you start your own business (maybe cleaning or ironing services as mentioned above) you can still claim the 30hrs free for the first year whilst you're setting up your own business.

Childminders and wrap-around private nurseries can take children getting the extra funded hours.

WhereDoWeGo Sat 05-Sep-20 12:05:07

Thanks welshlady I didn't know if it was seen as unprofessional these days.

Thanks NachoNachoMan

NachoNachoMan Sat 05-Sep-20 13:00:55

Sorry I should add that I meant when you're setting up a business you don't need to be earning the minimum of 16hrs min wage per week, for the first year. You'll have to look into it a bit more, but it's what my sister did, set up a craft business so her son could continue in his day nursery after she had been made redundant before he started school full time. smile

WhereDoWeGo Sat 05-Sep-20 14:20:39

NachoNachMan Aww well done your sister then!
I'd love to set up my own business but I don't have the confidence/money & wouldn't know where to start. I was left a bit frustrated with the employment support lady as she didn't really help with the job side, or answering questions like childcare help, just did my CV.

Lotsalotsagiggles Sat 05-Sep-20 20:29:49

Could
You get a job as admin at another nursery /pre school?

ScrapThatThen Sat 05-Sep-20 21:03:37

What about lunchtime supervisor (dinner lady) at a local primary school? I think it's about those hours.

ScrapThatThen Sat 05-Sep-20 21:05:18

I think they are usually advertised on your local councils jobs website - ask in a library if you need help looking it up, you could sign up for job alert emails.

WhereDoWeGo Sun 06-Sep-20 04:42:03

Thanks ScrapThatThen & Lotsalots I did look at school jobs & the lunchtime ones just finish too late in the day. They only ever have full time positions in the actual school where the kids are.
Thank you for all the suggestions though, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious, some amazing £50 an hour, 3 hours a day job that you didn't need to be qualified for grin

The jobcentre has been quiet due to covid, but they never really knew where to put me, they kept switching me between the 'Well you don't need to be looking for work yet, just think about it for the future' person, who I would tell that I actually WANT to work right now, & they would bounce me back to the 'Right let's get you a job then!' person... Who would realise 'Oh, you can't do much right now'.. then back to the other person.

WhereDoWeGo Tue 15-Sep-20 17:00:59

Is it normal for an employer to want access to your full medical records?
I've been sent an application form & they want full access.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in