Talk

Advanced search

Do all workplaces have files on the employees?

(36 Posts)
whatisforteamum Thu 03-Sep-20 18:43:47

I've always thought my new boss wanted a new team.I think they want to recruit young new people and I am neither of these things being20 \30 years older than the others.
Before lockdown I was thinking of taking ti.me out.I loved the freedom of lockdown as my days are often 12 hours with no weekends off.
I went back and have been loving it tbh.
But someone much junior to me mentioned files being kept.
I knew about it last yr when someone caused terrible trouble so pictures and files were kept for !months in order to sack them.
My last work review 1got 5 out of 5 for time keeping attendance attitude etc etc.
This has made me uneasy as I hope evidence isn't kept on me.I've been there a few years.I hope this junior is just being paranoid or do all
Workplaces take pics of everything and keep a file on everyone now?
I have never heard of such a practice before.

OP’s posts: |
SuzieCarmichael Thu 03-Sep-20 18:45:50

Of course everyone has a personnel file - otherwise how would they know when they hired you, promoted you, what you’re paid, your CV/application form, address etc?! Or are you talking about some other kind of files? Perhaps you could elaborate a bit?

Gabrielknight Thu 03-Sep-20 18:46:29

I've known it to happen

devildeepbluesea Thu 03-Sep-20 18:47:25

Well, of course everyone has a file. But usually, it's not quite as Orwellian as you describe. Are you sure this is happening?

SuzieCarmichael Thu 03-Sep-20 18:47:27

And of course anything you do on work email accounts, computers etc is likely to be logged or trackable, that’s routine. Never assume they can’t watch you if they want to.

Skingaling Thu 03-Sep-20 18:47:50

I'm sure any large employer has files on their employees, yes. And most smaller ones. Perhaps not on cash in hand employees.

Not sure what you mean about pictures though?

FinnyStory Thu 03-Sep-20 18:50:20

Yes. Mist will only contain their application form, details of payrise, sickness records etc but if there have been any capability, performance, disciplinary issues, they will be there too. If you do have a staff member with a poor record of say, absence or performance, it's important full records are kept, in order to follow through the appropriate policies.

bellinisurge Thu 03-Sep-20 18:50:43

Of course they have one. Naive to think they don't.

Standrewsschool Thu 03-Sep-20 18:52:17

All companies will have files on their employees. They’re probably computerised, rather than hard copies nowadays, with relevant documents being scanned in. They probably contain contracts of employment, contact details, hours worked, details of courses completed, assessments etc.

If someone cause trouble, then it would be routine to keep the evidence. It may not be specifically to sack them, but to keep as a record in case the situation happened again.

FinnyStory Thu 03-Sep-20 18:52:31

If you're scoring 1 out of 5 for anything on your appraisal, I'd hope someone is keeping records of evidence TBH. Have they given you an action plan to improve?

daisypond Thu 03-Sep-20 18:54:33

FinnyStory

If you're scoring 1 out of 5 for anything on your appraisal, I'd hope someone is keeping records of evidence TBH. Have they given you an action plan to improve?

The OP got 5 out of 5.

Trisolaris Thu 03-Sep-20 18:55:53

Yes of course. Your contract, salary, any disciplinary and grievances, your reviews.

It would be pretty irresponsible if not!

whatisforteamum Thu 03-Sep-20 19:20:48

Oh ok.I work in a practical setting so it is easy to take pictures of something isn't right or clean.Mobile evidence of anything and everything.My boss showed us evidence on the person involved which seemed unprofessional
My track record is faultless that I know of but I'm on Zero hours so who knows what they need to get rid.I always Email absences which have only been a couple of days and now where near the 10 before it becomes an issue.Thank you all I was just feeling on edge regarding files looking to blame anyone for anything.

Trisolaris Thu 03-Sep-20 19:29:13

whatisforteamum

Oh ok.I work in a practical setting so it is easy to take pictures of something isn't right or clean.Mobile evidence of anything and everything.My boss showed us evidence on the person involved which seemed unprofessional
My track record is faultless that I know of but I'm on Zero hours so who knows what they need to get rid.I always Email absences which have only been a couple of days and now where near the 10 before it becomes an issue.Thank you all I was just feeling on edge regarding files looking to blame anyone for anything.

Ah I see. If anything it’s more about covering themselves to show they are following correct procedures. Generally companies want to hold on to good staff (which it sounds like you are!) The purpose of files is not to look for anything to ‘get rid’, however if someone is under performing they do need to make sure they keep the evidence of that and any records of how they have supported that person to improve. Good record keeping if anything is the sign of a better employer.

WickedEmoji Thu 03-Sep-20 19:32:11

We have photos and even cctv evidence in ours!

whatisforteamum Thu 03-Sep-20 19:33:40

It still seems like evidence to get rid to me.All of the other women have gone.I just don't like pictures of everything and it !makes !e want to do the same.

ceeveebee Thu 03-Sep-20 19:38:42

You can do a subject access request under GDPR if you want to know what is in your file?

whatisforteamum Thu 03-Sep-20 19:40:18

Excuse me for asking but what is this?

whatisforteamum Thu 03-Sep-20 19:42:22

How do I get access to it?

Burnthurst187 Thu 03-Sep-20 19:42:31

My company do. My hours were changed to help with childcare, that would have been put in my personal file for example. There's nothing sinister about having a file on each employee. If you get a written warning etc that will go in there too

gingajewel Thu 03-Sep-20 19:59:40

Of course you will have an employee file! If you are that bothers by what is in it you can ask for a subject access request and they will give you a copy!

flowery Thu 03-Sep-20 20:09:23

Your employer has to give you a privacy notice, telling you what information they are processing, for what purpose, how long it is kept for and details of security about the information. If you haven’t had one of those, they are in breach of GDPR requirements.

flowery Thu 03-Sep-20 20:15:08

guide to your data rights

daisypond Thu 03-Sep-20 20:16:32

If you are good at your job, get top marks in appraisals, have minimal sickness, and are on a zero hours contract, I can’t see any reason why a company would want to get rid of you. Are you get staff paid less?

daisypond Thu 03-Sep-20 20:16:43

Younger

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in