Colleague seems resentful of me getting new job.. WWYD?

(24 Posts)
Maxine3477 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:09:40

I work in the NHS (currently a Band 3 admin post) and have just been offered a Band 4 position following a recent interview.
I've never been above a band 3 before and feel really pleased with myself for securing a Band 4 role! smile
Anyway, there's a colleague at my current place (she's a Band 4) and has said a few uncalled for things this week, like "how the bloody hell did YOU get a Band 4?", "They don't KNOW you.." and "You must INTERVIEW really well, that's all I can say..". She also said "You'd NEVER fit that job spec".
Just comments which seem to undermine my achievement, almost like she thinks I've "tricked" my way into being offered the new role, like I don't "deserve" it etc.
I've responded with comments like "Yeah.. I've really impressed myself" and "Yeah, I do interview well and I do a good application with lots of preparation"...
WWYD about such comments? Obviously don't want to fall out or have any kind of bad atmosphere but these comments are getting a bit much.

OP’s posts: |
SeasonallySnowyPeasant Wed 19-Aug-20 16:16:25

What a cowbag. Next time she says something like this I'd respond with something like, 'Gosh. You seem really out of joint about me landing this role. I thought you'd be pleased for me!'

Iloveacurry Wed 19-Aug-20 16:21:20

“Well you’re a band 4, so it can’t be that difficult”

Justajot Wed 19-Aug-20 16:22:16

That is unbelievably rude. I don't think you need to worry about falling out with her as she is clearly so disinterested in maintaining a decent relationship with you that she said those things. She also sounds to have limited social skills.

Justajot Wed 19-Aug-20 16:23:18

What was she like with you and others before? Is this actually out of character?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 19-Aug-20 16:24:07

<Paddington stare>

"I'm so pleased your happy for me"

ChurchOfWokeApostate Wed 19-Aug-20 16:25:44

Iloveacurry

This.

What a dick

ClamDango Wed 19-Aug-20 16:29:09

Will you be working with her in your new job. She is jealous and petty. Just smile and say thanks, its great to have such supportive friends.

latticechaos Wed 19-Aug-20 16:29:31

Iloveacurry

grin

This happened to me once, people are so embarrassing

Smallsteps88 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:31:36

Oh I would just grin when she says this stuff. She’s just oozing jealousy. There’s no response required from you.

Maxine3477 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:37:51

No I won't be working with this colleague at my new job. I'm staying within the same NHS Trust but moving to a different team entirely.
No, she hasn't really made these kind of comments before (well, not that I'm aware of, don't know if she's said them to other people).
She's usually ok but seems to have some really "off days" where the comments seem to just fly out of her mouth.
I know she's under a lot of pressure at the moment (as it the rest of our team) because the team is closing down for good within next couple of months. All team members (except me who has secured a new job already) are facing redeployment or possible redundancy if no redeployment jobs are available.

PocahontasMcGinty Wed 19-Aug-20 16:40:41

Ah. So she's jealous that you have got a band 4 role that she possibly could have been redeployed to.

Ignore her completely.

Congratulations

BlueJava Wed 19-Aug-20 16:49:51

Exactly what @Iloveacurry said! If you don't want to be perceived as confrontational then an airy "ha ha don't underestimate me" with a little MN laugh.

CuppaZa Wed 19-Aug-20 16:50:42

She probably sees your success as a job she could have gone to, but can’t now.

Congratulations OP

pepperpod28 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:52:20

Any chance she interviewed for the job as well on the sly?

Bluntness100 Wed 19-Aug-20 16:52:32

Oh I’m that’s a drip feed. Is she loosing her job and nothing to go to?

Nekoness Wed 19-Aug-20 16:56:02

She’s probably kicking herself for not interviewing for the role herself. As she has more experience, she obviously feels she would have gotten the role over you (who was promoted into it).

Nekoness Wed 19-Aug-20 16:58:11

I guess the bigger question is, why do you need to ask the internet to explain her reaction to you? Can you not work out why she is upset?

2bazookas Wed 19-Aug-20 16:58:27

"You are my inspiration and role model. I want to be just like you. "

Next, copy her hairstyle. Ask if she ever longed to have a twin.

jazzyroll Wed 19-Aug-20 17:08:31

Congratulations on your new job. This sort of happened to me once. I was successful in getting a job which was the same grade as my manager but without the responsibility of managing people. She said 'they cant give it to you. You're not qualified enough.' It really upset me at the time bit then I remembered all the other horrible stuff she'd said to me and that she was a total cow. Plus I'd just got my degree and she didnt have one so I think she was just jealous.

FabulouslyFab Wed 19-Aug-20 17:10:19

Iloveacurry

Fabulous!! 😂😂👍

Maxine3477 Wed 19-Aug-20 18:00:08

She wouldn't have been interviewed for (or wanted) this job I've been offered because it's only part time. She wants something full time (recently said she can't consider anything less than 37 hours).

Hollyhocksarenotmessy Wed 19-Aug-20 20:34:55

She's stressed, facing redundancy...and a bitch. I like the 'cant be that hard, you're a band 4'reply. It is replying in a fellow 'jokey way' but you'll both know you aren't taking any more of her shit.
Or, take out a notebook and write down what she says, every time. She'll shit herself over a bullying grievance. If she asks why, smile and tell her it's something you need to do.

daisychain01 Wed 19-Aug-20 21:24:15

I know she's under a lot of pressure at the moment (as it the rest of our team) because the team is closing down for good within next couple of months. All team members (except me who has secured a new job already) are facing redeployment or possible redundancy if no redeployment jobs are available.

So she's about to lose her job.

I'm not saying her behaviour is right, but I wouldn't think it's difficult to add two and two together and realise she's not exactly feeling top of the world at the moment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in