Job offer and interview dilema, WWYD?

(5 Posts)
Maxine3477 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:11:57

Ok, so I've been offered an new job within the NHS (already with them, but this job is a higher band and more money).
I've accepted this offer and the HR bits are being done behind the scenes at the moment. I've not yet received unconditional offer or contract. It's all been offered and accepted verbally so far.
I'm expecting to get the contact once all the checks come back.
Meanwhile... On Monday I'm invited for an interview for a job a applied for a couple of weeks ago. Also good money, better hours etc cand closer to home than the new NHS one.
My question is this: If I'm lucky enough to be offered the job after the interview on Monday, what's my legal position if I end up having to sign the NHS contract BEFORE getting the contract/unconditional offer for the 2nd job?
Ideally I'd prefer the 2nd job (on Monday), but if the NHS give me the contract whilst waiting to hear back from the other job, I don't want to mess them around by not signing! The NHS are desperate for me to start ASAP. So if I accept and start the NHS job would it look terrible if I end up jumping ship to take up job number 2?
What's the best and most courteous thing to do in this situation?

OP’s posts: |
SorrelForbes Fri 14-Aug-20 15:17:32

Having worked for the NHS for 20 years, I honestly wouldn't rush to return the contract. TBH I'd be surprised if you even receive it before the end of next week! Even if you do, just wait until you hear the outcome of the second interview.

Siennabear Fri 14-Aug-20 16:25:12

As above, I really wouldn’t worry. My checks took a good couple of months To go through.
Good luck Monday!

Cazz246 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:27:56

After just having a crap experience with NHS, please don’t worry about being courteous, the same consideration wouldn’t be returned.
If the second job is your preferred, do what needs be to get it. Look after yourself, you’re number one.
There is nothing worse than being miserable at work.
As mentioned earlier, NHS HR take at least 6 weeks for checks, then they’ll want to check something again! So, don’t worry!
Wishing you all the best 😁😁

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Sun 16-Aug-20 08:07:50

Well if you had started you could just resign, probably with minimal notice so why wouldn't the same apply beforehand?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in