Job will no longer exist - what now?

(8 Posts)
Knittingontheroof Thu 13-Aug-20 15:28:32

Can anyone advise on what should happen next please in this situation...
My company is making a lot of people redundant and I'm on the at risk list.
The job I currently do is quite niche and isn't included in the structure after reorganisation - it's a very specific job title that just won't exist afterwards.
I don't mind taking redundancy as I have other options elsewhere and the payoff will help, but how should the process go now?
Presumably if I just sit tight, they should write to me and tell me my role no longer exists and serve notice?
I'm supposed to be having a consultation meeting but have leave booked next week and haven't had a meeting invitation.
I'm not in a union.
Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
flowery Thu 13-Aug-20 19:28:08

What happens next is you contact your manager and say you can’t attend your consultation meeting as you are on leave, so can it be rearranged.

How did you find out you are at risk- have you had a letter?

Knittingontheroof Thu 13-Aug-20 23:16:37

Thanks @flowery. I'll be asking to cancel the leave, it would have been to France. ☹️
So, that takes the pressure off time-wise.

Yes, I've had a letter to say my job is at risk, but it's a standard one which went out to everyone I work with and doesn't refer to my specific contract. However, I have it in writing that my post isn't included in the new structure.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Fri 14-Aug-20 15:02:29

They should invite you to a consultation meeting, discuss the proposed changes, look at whether there are any other roles you could do etc.

Knittingontheroof Fri 14-Aug-20 16:19:42

Thanks, the point is, I don't want to stay as it's going to be horrendous with so few staff left.
I don't think that'll be an issue, but presumably they would have to accept my VR application as I'd have to sign a new contract with a different job description in order to stay?

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Fri 14-Aug-20 17:01:08

If they can find you suitable alternative employment they can refuse any redundancy but if you're pretty niche you should be ok

Toilenstripes Fri 14-Aug-20 17:03:49

Check your contract before the consultation, contact HR and request a copy of their policy on redundancies.

Knittingontheroof Fri 14-Aug-20 21:00:27

Thanks again. There isn't anything similar in the new structure, so I can't see there's anything suitable. I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in