Bank Holidays and Maternity leave

(10 Posts)
userxx Wed 12-Aug-20 11:28:01

Please can somone explain how this works ? Do you get the days off in leiu ?

OP’s posts: |
NoraEphronsneck Wed 12-Aug-20 11:33:51

In our workplace you have the ones which have occurred while you've been off tagged onto end of your maternity leave.

userxx Wed 12-Aug-20 11:44:35

So if there have been 3 bank holidays you get an extra 3 day tagged onto the end of the leave? Do those days get paid in that period ? I'm getting myself very confused here!!!

Moondust001 Wed 12-Aug-20 14:38:44

If you have 28 days including bank holidays, then you should get the days as annual leave. Bank holidays don't really exist for statutory holiday purposes - you have the right to 28 days leave per year (or pro rata) and that is it. If you have more than 28 days leave, then you need to ask your employer for their policy. My employer, for example, has many staff on 35 or more days holiday plus bank holidays. In our case we have very generous maternity leave provision and you also get to "keep" the 35 days or so leave - but the bank holidays are "lost". But we pay full pay for six months and half pay for three months, so nobody is going to quibble about losing an odd bank holiday...

peachypetite Wed 12-Aug-20 14:40:12

Ask your HR how it works?

flowery Wed 12-Aug-20 16:45:10

Bank holidays aren’t special- they are just holiday that normally takes place on set days.

While on maternity leave you continue to be entitled to all your terms and conditions as normal, including paid holiday, so if you miss a paid holiday due to maternity leave, it should be added to your annual leave to be taken at another time.

SummerHouse Wed 12-Aug-20 16:48:09

A couple of years ago my employer wrote to all potentially affected staff that bank holidays had not been given and offered money or time off in lieu. That was a good day!

Lazypuppy Wed 12-Aug-20 20:22:02

I get my 30 days annual leave plus the bank hols. After my maternity leave the bank hols got added to my annual leave i accrued while i was off.i did take 3 weeks annual leave at the end of my maternity,

2CatsAndCounting Wed 12-Aug-20 20:28:13

Moondust001

If you have 28 days including bank holidays, then you should get the days as annual leave. Bank holidays don't really exist for statutory holiday purposes - you have the right to 28 days leave per year (or pro rata) and that is it. If you have more than 28 days leave, then you need to ask your employer for their policy. My employer, for example, has many staff on 35 or more days holiday plus bank holidays. In our case we have very generous maternity leave provision and you also get to "keep" the 35 days or so leave - but the bank holidays are "lost". But we pay full pay for six months and half pay for three months, so nobody is going to quibble about losing an odd bank holiday...

Technically if those holiday days are in your contract you are entitled to them. Yes generous pay but legal you are entitled to those days off at full pay if they are in your contract.

userxx Wed 12-Aug-20 20:31:06

Brilliant thanks so much, I understand now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in