Give me your tips for WFH! To help with MH

(9 Posts)
Workinprogress30 Sat 01-Aug-20 20:54:52

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or MH thread so hope this is right but...
I’m an NHS employee. During lockdown we have been working from home/doing contacts over the phone and my MH has really struggled. I have been off sick for what will be 8 weeks when I return.
I just wondered for people who WFH what are your tips to structure your day/keep yourself from slipping?
I ordinarily NEED to keep busy/see people for the sake of my MH so as you can imagine, lockdown has been disastrous for me. I need some new (healthier!) coping mechanisms for when I return.
Thank you x

OP’s posts: |
LouiseTrees Sat 01-Aug-20 21:48:42

Go a walk and eat a sandwich for lunch, so you see other people about. Ensure your station is near a window with good light so you can open it if needed to feel closer to the world. If you would normally go get coffees still do that in your kitchen. Don’t have your workspace in your kitchen Or your own bedroom so as to maintain a kind of work/life separation. Dress up for work even if no one sees you if it makes you feel better. Go a walk in the morning before work as a “commute”. I have loads of these.

ShadylilFocker Sun 02-Aug-20 09:33:22

Get fully dressed, go for a walk at lunch time. White noise or music in the background if possible.
Eat really well and drink lots of water. Make sure you get up and stretch every hour and look away from screen.
If you can work in the sunshine do so.

GazingAndGrazing Sun 02-Aug-20 16:49:56

ShadylilFocker

Get fully dressed, go for a walk at lunch time. White noise or music in the background if possible.
Eat really well and drink lots of water. Make sure you get up and stretch every hour and look away from screen.
If you can work in the sunshine do so.

Perfect advice

Grottyfeet Sun 02-Aug-20 16:53:32

I found I was much happier once I established a proper workspace and a routine. The workspace is small and is packed away at the end of each day, so the working day ends properly.

Get out everyday for exercise, with company if possible now and make a proper lunch, which you eat away from the workspace

It's still really tough but these things helped.

pinkbalconyrailing Sun 02-Aug-20 16:57:25

good workspace with good lighting and a comfy chair.
routine: short walk before starting to work, 'proper' lunchbreak, shut down computer/phone after work, exercise outside after work.

mumonthehill Sun 02-Aug-20 17:04:07

Get up as if you are going to work, shower, get dressed. Have a work space, make break times ie 10.30 coffee, 1 lunch. Go out if you can. Have a finish time. If you need to clear work away, I use a massive Ikea bag and just put lap top, diary etc in it. Speak to someone once a day at least!

WeAllHaveWings Sun 02-Aug-20 23:03:46

Have a daily commute. Go for a brisk walk morning and evening to start and end the day. Have a lunchtime walk too.

Have a couple of short breaks so you aren't sitting at your desk all day, use time to vacuum/empty dishwasher, anything that moves your body around for 5 mins instead of sitting in the chair for 3hrs solid.

Always get up, showered and dressed for work

Play radio for company/background noise.

Ping colleagues and ask if free for a quick zoom instead of sending an email so you still have contact.

Workinprogress30 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:03:20

All great tips thank you so much. I like the idea of a ‘daily commute’. Unfortunately we live in a small house so I don’t have a study or anything. I hate sitting in my bedroom, I did have a desk in there initially but it was stressing me out looking at it at bedtime. So the only option is in the living room, usually where my toddler is playing. It is just not set up for home-working at all, but I will take some of these things on board and try my best with it x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in