Talk

Advanced search

Work rota - lack of notice

(8 Posts)
fourplusfour Fri 31-Jul-20 16:57:49

I am currently employed part time and work various shifts - no real pattern to days or hours. Often work close to double contracted hours. However I'm finding it increasingly frustrating that rotas are put up with such short notice and regularly changed without consultatuon. Is there any legal notice that employers should give? As of today I know my shifts until next weekend. Probably won't know the follow week til at least Wednesday next week .

OP’s posts: |
flowery Fri 31-Jul-20 17:47:56

Nothing legal - that would vary employer to employer and would depend what (if anything) your contract says about your working hours/shift arrangements/notice of shifts.

Freddofrogshop Fri 31-Jul-20 21:17:58

If you know your shifts for almost a week in advance , that's pretty standard I would think.
Where I work we draft the shifts 2 or 3 weeks before, but don't conform them or give out hours until the Monday of the week before.
This is because things change so much we don't want too many or too few staff in each day.

notacooldad Fri 31-Jul-20 21:21:03

We normally get our rotas 6 weeks in advance.
Sometimes things change on both sides so there is plenty of flexibility

fourplusfour Fri 31-Jul-20 22:09:23

I dont really mind not knowing except they want personal/medical appointments made on our days off - but I don't know when they are. It makes things like arranging driving lessons for example really difficult.

CitizenCandyKane Sun 02-Aug-20 08:30:38

Sounds a lot like my employer. We get our rota for a week starting on the Sunday, usually on the late Thursday, so 2 and a bit days in advance. Makes planning any kind of a personal life extremely difficult indeed. People rarely believe me when I tell them that is how it works.

Tumbleweed101 Sun 02-Aug-20 08:51:36

Ours is like this, although it’s fairly consistent as to when we have a day off. I make personal appointments on the days I’m most likely to have off and put it in the diary so they know not to put me on rota for that week then. We all tend to get a day off in the week so unless someone is on annual leave it doesn’t matter too much as shifts can be jiggled about a bit.

fourplusfour Sun 02-Aug-20 14:30:39

@tumbleweed101 I think that must be the way to go. I've a few things I need to organise and will just have to ask work to work around it if possible

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in