Recruiters, what is it like out there at the moment?

(9 Posts)
CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Thu 23-Jul-20 18:17:30

Is it really as bad as portrayed in the press, 1000 applicants for min wage roles etc or is it very sector specific and some sectors still experiencing a shortage of candidates?

OP’s posts: |
Teacaketotty Thu 23-Jul-20 22:12:00

I would be interested to know this also - I’ve been looking for a senior engineering role for a few months now. There does seem to be a fair few new jobs coming up but more than normal applying from what I can see on LinkedIn.

Foxinthechickencoop Thu 23-Jul-20 22:18:06

I can only comment on nhs. I work in recruitment in the nhs and we have loads and loads of jobs. Yep we get a lot of applicants but for the lower level jobs the applications are very poor and you can tell people are only applying because the job centre is making them. If you actually Want a job, and put a bit of time into your application and prep for your Interview then there will be a job here for you.

AriettyHomily Thu 23-Jul-20 22:27:27

We are still recruiting senior level prof service roles but the lower grades are being made redundant. Their outlook is pretty bleak at the moment.

Remmy123 Fri 24-Jul-20 16:23:29

I am a PA all London agencies are telling me it's dead and they anticipate September wheh they will pick up

FluffyKittensinabasket Fri 24-Jul-20 22:16:08

The secsinthecity website for secretarial jobs in London has gone from over 2000 jobs being online at any one time to 300! The agencies I used to use for PA/EA jobs have gone from circa 30 jobs online at once to around 5.

Remmy123 Sat 25-Jul-20 07:56:56

@FluffyKittensinabasket

Yes I've been looking in their website - generally when I apply to an agency I get inundated with calls as have a good CV for EA/PA work but I'm getting nothing at all!!

I'm hoping to maybe start temping in a few months.. hoping things will pick up 🤞🤞

AtoZZ Sat 25-Jul-20 09:38:05

I’m currently job hunting as being made redundant, I’ve got a strong CV with experience that covers a few different sectors / job roles (admin, customer service, sales) but I’ve only heard back from 2 jobs that I’ve applied for.
I applied for a temporary part time job in a small local shop on minimum wage and they got 233 applications.
Some jobs are being advertised and then being taken down after a few hours because they’ve received so many applications.
It’s crazy but I do think things will settle down, or at least I hope they will!

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Sat 25-Jul-20 15:20:54

Unfortunately I think things will get worse before they get better. This is the tip of the iceberg, furlough is still in operation.

As for me I'm calling off the search and bedding down in my permanent but unsatisfying job. I do feel for anyone hunting this market though.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in