I'm redundant but boss is doing my job

(6 Posts)
EBearhug Wed 22-Jul-20 01:05:33

Age is a protected characteristic, so if they use that as part of the selection criteria, you might be able to claim for age-based discrimination, even with less than two years service, but you'd hope no employer is daft enough to state that as criteria - not that it makes much odds as they'll find some reason to get rid of the ones they want to get rid of.

islockdownoveryet Fri 17-Jul-20 22:51:46

I'm not sure why people pass comment if they are not helpful.
Of course you are can still be made redundant if less than 2 years but you'll be entitled to nothing.
The criteria of 1 year or 2 years is hardly anything so it's possible the service may not be any different.
Also in a more diplomatic way yes unfortunately they can make you redundant even if someone is doing your job because he or she could be doing it temporarily and it's possible they may then be going through redundancy too soon .
Unfortunately businesses are making cuts in all departments regardless if they need someone or not .
You may still go through redundancy consultation if they are doing a lot of redundancy but if it's a handful say then they won't but yes it's correct 2 years service for redundancy pay .
It's awful etc but don't take it personally.

Africa2go Fri 17-Jul-20 19:36:40

You're not entitled to redundancy pay is you've been there less than 2 years

heartsonacake Fri 17-Jul-20 19:27:49

He doesn’t need to make you redundant. If you’ve been there less than two years he can just fire you.

Tini17 Fri 17-Jul-20 19:23:53

Is he doing your job on top of his/her own or has he dropped his own to do yours?
If they have re-opened with limited hours then they are unlikely to be earning enough at the moment to pay all staff so they are possibly flexing what they do to cover and bring staff back on a phased bases. It is what pretty much everyone is doing to get through. It is entirely possible they can’t afford to pay you at the moment but as things pick up, that will change.
You seem a little naive to the financial situation of most businesses at present. It is dire in many cases at best. Government help was not to ‘save jobs’, it was/is to help pay wage bill when employees weren’t earning anything at all.
What makes you think your job is being made redundant?
I would make sure your boss knows you are willing and ready to come back at short notice, how flexible you are etc. Ask about any training you can do in the meantime. I would also ask for tentative confirmation of a date for your return and take it from there or some indication whether a restructuring is likely to happen?
Good luck

Breakingthewaves Thu 16-Jul-20 10:37:35

I work for a CIC (Community interest company) which is hospitality based. I was furloughed at the start of April. I've been employed there for less than 2 years.
The business recently re-opened with limited hours and with my job now being carried out by my boss who is on double my salary. He has been vague about me coming back to work even though I have offered to work part time for now. He has also mentioned using younger members of staff to work to save money.
It looks to me as though they are going to make me redundant. Is there anything I can do to fight for my job? It seems very unfair that he is getting paid double my salary to do my job when the business has received government help to save jobs and I'm desperate to get back to work!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in