Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy advice needed

(9 Posts)
1point21gigawatts Wed 08-Jul-20 12:22:49

Thanks in advance for reading. I would be really grateful for some advice for DH.

DH started a new job in November. His contract states he was subject to a 6 month probation and once that was completed he would be eligible for 3 months full pay in the event of redundancy.

Unfortunately tlhis job is in an industry that has been heavily affected by the lockdown and he was furloughed in May. The end of the 6 months probation occurred during this time. He has not had any confirmation that he has passed his probation despite the 6 months being up. Unfortunately again he has been given notice of redundancy. The meeting with his employer strongly hinted at a single weeks pay being his only redundancy offer.

I think this should not be correct. He has down his 6 months and no issue was raised he has effectively passed his probation by default. Prior to furlough he was working full time from home and completing all necessary work.

Does he have any recourse to argue for the months pay? He thinks he just has to accept it.

Can anyone give any advice?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
flowery Wed 08-Jul-20 12:40:52

Whether by the time passing by he has passed his probation by default depends entirely on the exact wording in his contract. Some contracts have wording saying that passing probation will be specifically confirmed. How long is it since the six months have elapsed?

1point21gigawatts Wed 08-Jul-20 13:50:22

Thanks flowery. I don't know the exact wording, but will check. The probation period would have finished in mid May.

dontdisturbmenow Wed 08-Jul-20 14:23:24

I agree. My contract clearly stipulate that the probation will only be passed when officially notified after a probation review, even though the process is rarely applied.

1point21gigawatts Wed 08-Jul-20 17:52:37

Oh well. I guess we're stuffed then. ☹️

flowery Wed 08-Jul-20 22:26:33

Is that what your DH’s says OP?

Thisyearcandoone Thu 09-Jul-20 15:17:11

Did you check your DH's contract wording OP?

Is he a member of an union?

1point21gigawatts Thu 09-Jul-20 22:04:14

Thank you.

He has had confirmation via email that he has officially passed probation. So that is a huge relief!

Thisyearcandoone Thu 09-Jul-20 22:49:51

That's good news. Hopefully he will survive the redundancy process.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in