Talk

Advanced search

Screwed up interview

(10 Posts)
Interviewhelpneeded Wed 01-Jul-20 06:16:34

Hi all

So I had an interview yesterday for what would be a perfect job. Step up from where I am now but one where I could add value and enjoy making my own mark.

Timing wasn’t great. DS has been in hospital (had another procedure on Monday and is waiting for a fairly big operation), so although I tried really hard to prep felt I flunked a few questions and generally fell a bit flat. Interviewer seemed to like me and we seemed to get along but my answers were not strong enough.

She was C level. I already have 4 other interviews with other people this week for the same role, as scheduled all at start.

My plan is to prep, prep, prep and smash these ones. Am I was ring my time if the big boss has already made up her mind? If the others go well, should I contact her and explain why I was off my game? I didn’t want to say them as didn’t want to look weak (if that makes sense)

Any thoughts appreciated - I have been running through my mind all night!

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Interviewhelpneeded Wed 01-Jul-20 06:17:26

*wasting my time

Elouera Wed 01-Jul-20 06:29:09

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. What is a level C? Do you mean you already have 4 interviews lined up at the exact same company? Are the interviews for the same role or in different departments?

I wouldn't advise ringing back and saying why things were off. You never know how you came across. SOunds like you didnt answer as best you could, but made a good impression and seemed to get on with them.

I used to conduct interviews, and its not all about how candidates answer questions. Among others, we were also looking for attitude, confidence, friendliness' and how they'll get on with the rest of the team.

MrsWonderland Wed 01-Jul-20 06:40:32

I wouldn't contact and try to explain away why you were off your game but I would consider emailing and say how interested you are in the job since meeting her. Even better, if they are one or two answers to questions she asked where you can add more colour by providing links or more detail then you can do so. Eg: "we were discussing companies that have self directing teams and I mentioned Spotify, thought you might be interested in this blog post about the way it works at TransferWise"

Interviewhelpneeded Wed 01-Jul-20 06:49:39

Ah sorry - C level as in COO. Yes interviews all for same role, at same company but with (who would be) other peers. This many interview is usual, so company managing pandemic by booking in all at once I guess

Interviewhelpneeded Wed 01-Jul-20 06:51:20

Thanks Wonder. That mightwork. I was worried about looking desperate by explaining...

Thanks Elouera - I just didn’t come across as me - if that makes sense?

MrsWonderland Wed 01-Jul-20 07:02:21

Yes, don't try to explain. It will come across as if you are making excuses. Tread carefully but if there's a chance to lightly drop in your circumstances on one of the other interviews you can do that too.

ie: interview starts with chit chat

Interviewer: "how have you been managing with lockdown?"

You: "not too bad thanks. Unfortunately my husband has been waiting for an operation which has been postponed because of Covid/my husband has been in hospital for non-COVID reasons which has been stressful at times but generally we are managing ok"

Don't be too "poor me" or make it too needy.

Good luck.

Interviewhelpneeded Wed 01-Jul-20 07:04:11

Thanks - Good advice!

Am just beating myself up that you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression...

NewtonWasRight Wed 01-Jul-20 14:49:01

i'm assuming big org if there's a c-level person interviewing you (rather than a smaller org which might just have an MD, say)... but in my corporate experience...

you absolutely shouldn't contact her.

firstly, that would be wierd and frankly if you had good rapport she may not even be too focussed on your answers, and if you contact her i'd think she'll just think of you as the wierd candidate that seemed to think she'd flunked it then tried to work around the normal interview process.

secondly, she's probably not even paid much attention to the recruitment process. if she's anything like the execs i've dealt with, all she'd have done is yay or nay to whoever's doing the recruitment coordination, then move onto whatever next thing is on fire that she needs to deal with.

i think you're over thinking it and i would honestly question your professional judgement because working at that level, i'd worry you were an anxious person who doesn't adhere to normal workplace boundaries/processes. that could be the corporate experience i've had only, and nothing like whatever the org is itself.. soo... i could be wrong. but in all the big orgs i've worked this wouldn't go down well.

as an example: i once worked at a large UK national where i was 1 of 3 on an interview panel. 1 person (head of dept) didn't like a candidate. I was ambivalent. Other person gave a thumbs up. I was the only female interviewer. We turned the candidate down, yet the guy tracked me down on linkedin and sent me a begging message asking to reconsider (as if it were my sole decision!). I politely explained that it was a panel decision, HR would provide feedback if he emailed the team, gave him contact details, and wished him luck in securing a role. I get another message. I ignore it. And then another message. When I approach HR for advice, they blacklist him from applications for 2 years. A bit ruthless but he showed he didn’t understand recruitment norms in what was a v traditional , staid corporate environment.

I’m worried you’re going to end up being seen as odd if you ever got tempted to follow through with your idea.

Good luck with the other recruitment steps.

PegasusReturns Wed 01-Jul-20 15:19:31

Contact her but as a PP said to say thanks for the opportunity and that if there anything you can expand on please get in touch.

Post interview “thank you notes” seem to have exploded in popularity in recent years and I don’t think they harm, provided they hit the right note of professional courtesy without neediness

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in