Talk

Advanced search

Made redundant due to COVID19: Old job re-advertised

(5 Posts)
rnblueeyes Fri 19-Jun-20 19:25:22

Hi everyone,

I was made redundant from my old job which I started on 2nd March on 31st March due to outbreak of COVID-19. I wasn't able to be furloughed.

However, I noticed the company has re-advertised my old job recently. They've altered the job title slightly but the job description and nature of the role remains exactly the same.

Just wondering if I should contact my old employer about this? I was under the impression when I was made redundant that they couldn't afford to keep me on. I left on good terms so am a bit surprised they haven't contacted me to see if I want my old role back and I'm apprehensive to apply again. I am also aware that this could just be protocol to advertise the job before potentially offering me my old job again.

Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
Babs709 Fri 19-Jun-20 19:26:28

I’m sure there are laws against this sort of thing, I’d definitely contact them and query it, just don’t commit to saying too much in writing in case there is a legal case here.

flowery Fri 19-Jun-20 19:45:48

It’s entirely likely things have changed in the past 2.5 months. Unless you think you have been discriminated against and were dismissed because of a disability or something like that, then there’s nothing unlawful. If you’d like the job back, get in touch.

Babs709 Fri 19-Jun-20 20:10:59

Ah I thought there was a rule about readvertising a role (or similar). But I don’t even know where I got that from. Still, I would definitely contact them.

flowery Sat 20-Jun-20 00:15:40

Babs709

Ah I thought there was a rule about readvertising a role (or similar). But I don’t even know where I got that from. Still, I would definitely contact them.

No. If OP had enough length of service to claim unfair dismissal (two years) then if the advertised very quickly she could potentially argue that the redundancy wasn’t genuine and claim unfair dismissal, as long as that happened within three months. But with very short service (or if things genuinely changed, which is entirely possible) there’s no claim.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in