New Job - Toxic work environment

(7 Posts)
Smokemeakipper42 Tue 16-Jun-20 23:33:37

Was “lucky” enough to get a new job back in November.

Small family run company with Dad as MD and daughter Office Manager/ HR.Team of four staff and me.

The first few months were ok as initially it was just me and the other office girlsThe MD’s daughter was on maternity leave so had no interaction with her apart from.a few e-mails.Settled well into the role and passed probation with really good feedback..

That all changed when she returned.I has been warned that she was very difficult and that people had left in the past because of her behaviour.But had no idea how bad it was going to get.

From the first day she came back into the office the whole atmosphere changed.My first interaction with her was being ignored and refusing an introduction as she was too busy going through the mountain of mistakes we had all made apparently.

She then set about letting me know how she is the only one who knows what she is doing and regaled me with stories of all the people who had started work there and hadn’t made the cut.Even boasting about how she had one girl pinned up against the wall for challenging her.

She is constantly trying to undermine me and is aggressive,confrontational and bullies a lot of the other staff.I have had words with her and have told her to re think the way she speaks to me as I won’t put up with it but she backtracks and blames the pressure she is under.But then goes off and takes it out on other members of staff and they then see me as the troublemaker, making it worse for them.

Now under normal circumstances I would have walked but all this started towards the middle of April when lockdown was in full force.
I can’t afford to be out of work at the moment .The only person I can raise a complaint with is her Dad and she can do no wrong in his eyes.

Have of course been scouring the jobs pages but because of the situation at the moment it seems to be understandably dire.

Am really just looking for any tips on how to survive an unbearable situation that you can’t get out of.

OP’s posts: |
WhatWouldDominicDo Tue 16-Jun-20 23:35:37

What's your actual job? Companies are still recruiting, so I'd be looking for something else, but hang on in there until you get an offer.

Smokemeakipper42 Tue 16-Jun-20 23:43:33

WhatWouldDominicDo

What's your actual job? Companies are still recruiting, so I'd be looking for something else, but hang on in there until you get an offer.

I’m a live fast die young .... Bookkeeper 😊

WhatWouldDominicDo Wed 17-Jun-20 00:25:12

Well I'm sure you'll be able to find another job relatively easily then. I'd start by getting in touch with some agencies, and avoid any jobs in family run firms.

ThanosSavedMe Wed 17-Jun-20 09:18:20

Just keep reminding yourself that you will leave, you will get out of there. I would try and keep a record of all the things she says and does so you have something in case they try and blame you for anything. Good luck

chynapearl Sun 21-Jun-20 16:54:43

This woman is an untouchable and she knows it . This a battle that you will never win. ignore here as much as possible until you can get out. Its tin hat on head down and bite your tongue until then . Good luck.

Smokemeakipper42 Sun 21-Jun-20 18:17:54

Thank you all for your responses.

Confirmed what I thought and need to try and find something else ASAP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in