Handing in notice on sick

(3 Posts)
strawberrysummer19 Mon 08-Jun-20 22:57:28

I hate the job I am in. My boss is a bully and I've been searching so hard for a new job.
Today I was offered a role and they want me to start immediately. I have to give 4 weeks notice. My new job have asked if I can do a couple of shifts training with them paid in my days off as I am part time. I am happy to buy I just wondered am i allowed ? I have been signed off sick this week so am i ok to
1/ hand in my notice when on sick
2/ woke for another company whilst being on notice for the job I'm leaving ?
I'm only signed off until Friday and I start my new role Monday

Thanks

Will call acas in the am but just thought someone might be able to help me
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
YinuCeatleAyru Tue 09-Jun-20 08:07:55

working for another company while off sick is definitely wrong.

it is fine to hand in notice while off sick.

you can probably negotiate a reduced notice period.

try something like:
As you know the working environment at Xxxx has become toxic to my mental health and I am currently signed off from work on medical grounds for this reason. I do not believe this situation is likely to improve and therefore wish to tender my resignation.
I have been offered employment elsewhere which I believe will be a position that I am able to take up without adverse health consequences. Would you please consider waiving the normal notice period and releasing me from my current employment contract as soon as possible? I do not anticipate that my health would allow me to resume my work for you in any case, but given the radically different situation in this new position there is no barrier to me starting that sooner except the fact that I am currently employed by you, so please let me know asap if you are able to release me from this obligation"

they should agree as the only consequence for them is not having to organise sick pay for you during your notice period, but do keep it polite as you may need a reference from them in future.

strawberrysummer19 Tue 09-Jun-20 08:43:55

Hi thanks for the post

Called acas first thing and they've confirmed that as you say I can hand in notice when I'm sick

They actually said you can work for another organisation whilst off sick depending on the reasons

I'm not doing that anyway but they said as long as there's nothing in my contract that says I can't then it's fine

X

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in