Bullying investigation - is this normal ?

(7 Posts)
Help1101 Sat 30-May-20 21:28:29

I have been bullied by the known bully of the work place ( other staff have just left , not formally complain ). I had to take out a formal grievance as I was so upset on a regular basis . Other staff members have backed up that this has happened before, but nothing formal from previous victims has been put forward .

Anyway , I’ve not been at the place long and i have no rights I know. I don’t want to / can’t work with the individual as they sabotage the work and I don’t want to be too outing and say what I do ,but the results can be quite embarrassing at best and catastrophic at worst . It’s a government role .

I need the money and have been looking for else where for work. But for now , need this job .

The bully emailed me asking for a chat . Is it likely he’s been asked to do this by the employer ? I’ve been reading about workplace bullying and tbh I’ve got zero faith in the employer as I feel they would have addressed him by now as everyone knows what he is like. I know they will want to brush it under the carpet as he has been there much longer than me .

OP’s posts: |
LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-20 21:31:11

Can you forward it to HR and ask if this is part of the grievance process?

That way if it's not they can deal with it

Moondust001 Sat 30-May-20 21:38:19

Are you in a union?

Whenwillthisbeover Sun 31-May-20 07:32:35

Yes, forward to HR and copy to your LM, unless they’re the bully in which case copy it to theirs.

Isleepinahedgefund Sun 31-May-20 08:09:18

Definitely copy it to HR - now you've formalised things, done anything off the record.

Does the bully know you've taken out a grievance? Presumably so. What is happening with that?

How did you try and address the bullying before submitting a grievance?

They might have been asked to have a chat with you as management will want to resolve this in the easiest way. . It's an absolute nightmare to deal with this sort of thing so yes, they want to find ways to make it all go away.

What resolution did you ask for/do you want?

You could think about accepting their invitation and say you'll be bringing a colleague with you(if you have someone willing). See what the response is. Perfectly reasonable for you to want
That.

I work in govt to and you do get people like this who have been allowed to get away with it for a long time. Usually it is better for your own well-being to leave. I have stood up to "the bully" before in similar circumstances though and they got the sack. Was a long, hard road and management would very much have liked me to go away like all his other victims had - in fact they were quite perplexed by my insistence. Luckily for me two other people in the team put their hands up to say they were being bullied too. I was fairly quickly moved from the team to stop me putting in a grievance (moving was the resolution I'd wanted anyway) but I didn't need to in the end as the other two people who weren't moved did so anyway when I was moved and they weren't (so the whole strategy backfired on the management in the end!)

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Sun 31-May-20 08:13:45

The first stage in resolution would usually, if appropriate, be mediation with you and the bully trying to resolve the issue through discussion, but there should be a third party present to 'mediate' and it should be arranged via the manager investigating the grievance.

CoRhona Sun 31-May-20 20:58:06

I would want any conversation taped.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in