Talk

Advanced search

Any HR / legal experts? Temporary promotion issues

(4 Posts)
flingo Tue 12-May-20 22:28:07

In March 2019 I was temporarily promoted to a senior position in my organisation, they had two interview rounds (I did not apply) and both times decided not to appoint.

In the meantime I've grown much more confident in the role and I am getting really good feedback from my boss and my team.

Yesterday my boss told me that they won't now look to appoint for another 6 months or so given the coronavirus crisis. This means that by the time they run the next exercise and appoint I will have been in the role for 2 years. I do plan to apply next time but is there any legal rights that I should know about? Like a right to be considered or interviewed?

OP’s posts: |
Darklava09 Wed 13-May-20 00:13:09

Everyone has a right to an interview or considered providing you meet the criteria they set out in the job description and person spec? Even disabilities have rights as such.

So I’m a little confused... are you saying you have a right to an interview because you already work there or?

flowery Wed 13-May-20 06:59:48

”Everyone has a right to an interview or considered providing you meet the criteria they set out in the job description and person spec?”

No they don’t.

OP you don’t have a right to an interview or anything like that, but I think the more pertinent question is why you think you need one. Do you really think they wouldn’t even interview you? If not, why not?

And what would be the value of the right to insist on an interview? If the only reason you got an interview was because you had a right to one, it won’t help you get the job. They know you already and how you perform in the role. If they don’t want to appoint you then forcing them to interview you against their will wouldn’t change that.

Why is it you are worried you won’t even get an interview?

CarlottaValdez Wed 13-May-20 07:02:05

I’d have a chat with them now and say you’ve enjoyed the role and would love to keep it. On that basis what do they want to see in terms of results/ outcomes in the next six months to give you the best possible chance.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in