Talk

Advanced search

Furlough retraction

(3 Posts)
AngC273 Wed 22-Apr-20 11:48:49

Hey, I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice. I have been on Mat leave for 9 months and was due back at the beginning of this month.
As my workplace closed, many staff were furloughed including myself.
The reason i was given is that there isn't enough work for me to do, also as I've been off for 9 months I would need a full induction again to go over all of the changes, and they did not want to do that remotely.
This suited me as my baby is 9 months and she can't go to her childminder.
Anyway, my company have now retracted the furlough for all staff and are expecting me to work from home (25 hours per week)
I am happy to do my bit but I have a very clingy baby and I don't see how I can work (customer service role) during the day.
My partner is still working Monday to Friday 9-5, so he is out from 8 until 6. I could work some evenings and weekends but this will have a detrimental effect on my family life and wouldn't work out at 25 hours.
I don't understand why I can't be furloughed when I simply cannot work in the office or from home!
Financially I cannot afford to lose money either!
Does anyone have any advice please?

OP’s posts: |
thetoddleratemyhomework Wed 22-Apr-20 12:28:45

Everyone I know with young kids and office jobs is basically using evenings and weekends to prop themselves up at work. Honestly, it will be tough but it is how it is currently for lots of people. Can you add up nap times, plus one hour early morning 7-8am and one hour or two evening whilst dad looks after child or after dinner. That might give you 4 hours a day in the week, plus then try to get 4 hours each day at weekend. Your employer, if a good one, will understand the constraints you are under. They can't furlough staff unless they don't want to use them at all - sounds as if they need you. Sorry if that sounds unsympathetic - have been juggling our toddler for weeks and work in a job where evenings are not sacred anyway. Many doctors and nurses are living away from their families at the moment, so perhaps you need to consider whether you are really hard done by?

AngC273 Wed 22-Apr-20 12:55:04

Thanks for your message. I know I am one of the lucky ones. My partner & I just had that conversation.
You are right, I'm sure we can make it work.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in