Talk

Advanced search

Am I going to be self employed, a contractor or something else?

(5 Posts)
BicycleMadeForTwo Sat 04-Apr-20 12:56:26

Hoping someone can help as there is no HR to turn to and I’m lost in the Gov Info pages on this!

I have been out of work for just over two years and have just got a new job. The company is based in Europe and have they have ‘employees’ throughout Europe. They have told me I will need to register as self employed here in the UK. I will send an invoice for any work done and they will pay into my bank. Is that self employed or a different term? I just want to make sure I’m following the right path - registering as self employed etc

I only had one other job before this for 16 years with a big HR department so never had to think about these things. Any help much appreciated! Thanks

OP’s posts: |
flowery Sat 04-Apr-20 23:49:28

Your employment status depends on a variety of factors, it isn't something either you or the employer get to choose, as such.

What's the job, is it the kind of job where you'd have other clients etc?

Some companies try and get people to 'be self-employed' in an attempt to avoid their employment obligations.

BicycleMadeForTwo Sun 05-Apr-20 14:43:01

Thanks @flowery I’m so lost trying to work out what I should be doing!

It’s event planning. Essentially the company will get the clients and pass them onto us to do the planning for. We then get paid for each event, invoicing the company at the end of each month. We get a percentage of the total the client pays for the event.

They have said I would need to register as self employed but I wasn’t sure if just showing an invoice was enough to prove my employment status.

The situation becomes even more awkward now with Covid19 as the events that would have been taking place in the next couple of months are postponing so there will obviously be no income until at least August!

Hoppinggreen Tue 07-Apr-20 14:11:09

Look at the CEST tool on the HMRC website, it’s not infallible but it might be helpful
Unfortunately if the company are offering you a SE contract or nothing then you haven’t got much choice. If they are an overseas company you couldn’t even report to HMRC I would think

BicycleMadeForTwo Tue 07-Apr-20 19:48:54

Thanks @Hoppinggreen Ill have a look at that now. It’s a minefield trying to work out what my actual employment status would be. I don’t mind being self employed through them, a job is a job at the moment, I just wanted to check if registering as self employed would be the correct path. Appreciate the help smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in