Talk

Advanced search

Annual Leave Still Counting at this time

(9 Posts)
theotherfossilsister Thu 02-Apr-20 10:38:45

Hello, I know some of you might be angry that I am asking this while I still have a job, and I do appreciate how lucky I am. However, asking for advice anyway, as I am very keen to not loose all my annual leave.

We are not able to work during this, so have been put on paid leave. All my leave is booked in April, May and June. I normally use that leave to visit family, and get a break somewhere with partner. Obviously, neither of those are possible at the moment.

We've just been told Annual leave will still count, so it's basically gone. Those who had holidays earlier in the year, late last year, will be OK. Possibly the people who have autumn holidays can take them too.

I know it's not the end of the world, or the biggest issue ever, and my employer is great in paying us during this time, however, I feel kind of resentful that I booked all my holidays and planned trips and I am now going to lose them, and not have time to see family, go on a trip with partner.

Any advice? Or do I just suck it up, because so many folk have it worse?

OP’s posts: |
PhoneLock Thu 02-Apr-20 10:42:55

Wasn't there something announced a week or so ago saying that companies would have to carry over this year's unused leave for the next two years?

TemoraryUsername Thu 02-Apr-20 10:43:14

I get why you would be feeling short changed over this, but in all honesty if you come out of this with a job still at the end of it, then I'd count your blessings.

The world has been turned upside down. It's presumably not going to help your employer if their employees all take all their annual leave after they reopen. I'd acknowledge your frustration, but suck this one up.

PhoneLock Thu 02-Apr-20 10:44:52

employeebenefits.co.uk/government-allow-employees-to-carry-over-annual-leave-for-two-years/

theotherfossilsister Thu 02-Apr-20 10:47:41

Thanks guys

@Phonelock the problem is mine is pre-booked, as they encourage us to book as far in advance as possible.

I know I am lucky to have a job, yes, but I long to see my family and if I lose all my leave in this way then I cannot see them until next year.

OP’s posts: |
CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Thu 02-Apr-20 20:23:22

I have this, we've been told amy pre booked leave cannot be cancelled ti prevent a backlog building up.

Cest la vie!

ScouseMar Thu 02-Apr-20 20:41:39

The amended rules re carry over of annual leave are to help employees who are unable to take their whole leave entitlement this leave year due to their workplaces being so busy due to Covid-19. So NHS staff, carers, delivery drivers etc - all dealing with a massively increased workload and less staff to do the work due illness and people self isolating.

This does not apply to people like you who have pre- booked leave that can still be accommodated. If your company have no work for you to do there is no reason your leave cannot be taken as planned.

user1353245678533567 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:58:30

Your employer could just as easily require you all to take all your annual leave and then furlough you once it was all used up. This maybe felt the least heavy handed approach to them in terms of goodwill.

It's fair enough to feel cheesed off but not much you can do. No point getting into debates about who has it worse, each of us is only trying to live our own life and we need to be able to express our feelings about the stuff that is disappointing or frustrating or worrying or whatever.

rookiemere Thu 02-Apr-20 21:22:26

I do feel for you OP. We moved a planned Easter break out to October and it's really cheering me up hoping we can go. I will take at least one week in the summer holidays and have booked a UK break in the hope we can go and will likely take another week even if we can't.
I can see making you take some of it, but letting you postpone at least a week would have been a nice gesture. We're all going to want to take holidays when this is over and pump some money back into the economy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in