Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where does one go for careers advice?

(20 Posts)
PeachesMcLean Tue 11-Sep-07 22:13:28

Really feeling like I'm in the wrong career. I've been in the same thing for a few years now and on paper am doing ok, but
I'm just not sure it's for me - using my natural aptitudes etc. Feeling like a square peg in a round hole.

Where do you go to find out what you should be doing? ie, what you'd be good at?

pointydog Tue 11-Sep-07 22:15:20

Where did you go to college/uni? You can sometimes arrange to go back to their careers service.

pointydog Tue 11-Sep-07 22:15:41

(aren't you a student?)

Hulababy Tue 11-Sep-07 22:16:28

I am sure that there is an adult's version of Connexions. Wil go and look in my course notes - doing a Level 4 in Advice and Guidance - to find out its name.

The job centre may also have access to these kinds of IAG workers and resources too.

accessorizewithbabysick Tue 11-Sep-07 22:16:41

There's a great book that might help you - What colour is my parachute? All about finding what your natural aptitudes are and a career to match etc. A lifecoach also might help you to make some changes, my dp had one for a while and it really helped him.

Hulababy Tue 11-Sep-07 22:20:07

You aren't in England are you (profile info). Not sure if Wales has Connexions.

I know England definitely has IAG workers, via Connexions, for adults. It is partially what I will be trained to do.

Will keep looking.

PeachesMcLean Tue 11-Sep-07 22:21:23

I haven't been a student for 15 years hmm and the uni is 200 miles away.

What's an IAG worker?

PeachesMcLean Tue 11-Sep-07 22:22:10

Meant "haven't been a student for 15 years sad !!

Must take a typing course too....

Hulababy Tue 11-Sep-07 22:23:56

IAG - information, advice and guidance. Posh term for a careers or personal advisor.

have a look at this website. It is for Wales and covers adult IAG. Has some online tools to use, and a section on changing direction for adults.

pointydog Tue 11-Sep-07 22:26:55

Oh. AM I confusing you with someone? I thought you were a student. Religious studies or philosophy.

PeachesMcLean Tue 11-Sep-07 22:29:52

That'll be Peachy, who, confusingly also lives in South Wales. To be fair, she got here first... grin

Hulababy Tue 11-Sep-07 22:30:57

Yes, I got confused over that too!

Hulababy Tue 11-Sep-07 22:33:29

As I mentioned before this is kind of what I do now - although in a prison at present. But I am an IAG worker, and doing an up to date IAG NVQ course as well. So if you need any frutehr advice on where to consider looking, just shout. Off to bed now, abck tomorrow.

PeachesMcLean Tue 11-Sep-07 22:36:55

Thanks Hula, that does look useful. TBH I had always though Careers Wales dealt with people who were not in edcuation, training, or employment, or at the very beginning of their careers, but they seem to have revamped it so it's good to take a second look. Also, I'm probably looking for a site with a "magic wand" facility to just tell me by osmosis what I should be doing! I guess they don't exist! It's a bit depressing to be honest cos I'm only thinking like this cos I'm not settling in my new job. And that's a whole different thread!

Will take a proper look at that tomorrow though. Thanks.

PeachesMcLean Tue 11-Sep-07 22:39:38

Oh dear, I've had this name for 10 years now not just on MN. Peachy is wiser than me but I must think of a new name though... Any websites for that???!!!

Hulababy Wed 12-Sep-07 08:45:13

I know what you mean PM. Chagning track mid career is strange, daunting and a bit bewildering too. I did it about three years ago, after 9 years of teaching.

missbumpy Wed 12-Sep-07 11:08:37

I think adult version of conexions is the Learndirect helpline. Not sure how good it is though.

Some universities have really well established careers advice centres which are open to non-students for a fee.

missbumpy Wed 12-Sep-07 11:10:12

ps. I know what you mean about feeling like a square peg in a round hole

Guardian website has some useful careers advice and the Work section on Saturdays often has interesting articles about how to change career.

Hulababy Wed 12-Sep-07 20:03:35

There is another one - not Learn Direct - for adults. My course notes are at work though.

rantinghousewife Wed 12-Sep-07 20:06:32

Learn direct are brilliant, was on the phone to them today about returning to work and changing direction (re; what sort of work I want to do), I think they cover Wales, but they are really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now