Talk

Advanced search

Any other middays or lunch staff that are working in schools

(23 Posts)
paul2louise Fri 27-Mar-20 10:59:00

I work for 1 hour a day M-F term time as a lunchtime assistant. There are about 500 kids in the school normally .We are having about 25 come in each day at the moment. I am on a team of 15 middays normally. Since the school closure there is just me, my supervisor and another lady who can work. I have to go into school every day. The teachers are on a rota. We have no such system. I am feeling anxious. My family (husband and son) are staying at home and keeping safe. I am going to work every day. I care that we are looking after the key workers children and they are doing an amazing job but I can't help worrying. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Fri 27-Mar-20 11:00:16

Are all three of you needed on each day? If so then it just isn't possible to do a Rota.

Greendin Fri 27-Mar-20 11:05:08

You're in the same boat as everyone else that's working. At least you are only working for an hour, a lot of people have to work a full day or night shift.

If you and your colleagues didn't work, those children wouldn't have childcare and that's 25 key workers who couldn't work. That could be 25 emergency service workers.

Just make sure you follow the guidelines regarding hygiene etc. It's normal to be worried.

paul2louise Fri 27-Mar-20 11:21:08

I don't know. They only asked me to work yesterday because my husband is now at home. No one has discussed anything with me. I posted on here to see if any other mums are in similar scenario. The other school in the town has 4 kids. All have packed lunches and I think teachers are supervising.

paul2louise Fri 27-Mar-20 11:22:56

Yes I understand that. I am not begrudging those kids a place just school I am asking if there is a better system. I was hoping other midday staff might reply and say how their school is managing it

paul2louise Fri 27-Mar-20 11:23:55

I said I would work if I could. I just didn't expect that out of 15 staff I would be one of the only ones who could work

MichonnesBBF Fri 27-Mar-20 11:29:07

Yeah this needs to be questioned?
Why is there only 3 of you?
Are all others self isolating/vunerable/ill?
How long do they expect you to do this for?
Will others be asked after 2 weeks isolation to come back and relive you?

You have right to ask these question and you have a right to answers.
Goodluck.

MichonnesBBF Fri 27-Mar-20 11:30:48

Sorry very poor SPAG there.

paul2louise Fri 27-Mar-20 13:28:24

One is diabetic, 2 are semi retired so age related, a couple have asthms, a couple are self isolating, the rest are looking after ill family. I stood outside with 3 girls at lunchtime. The teachers sat outside too. I keep a safe distance but worry if one hurts themselves I will have to break the safe distance. Fortunately the girls I was surprising today are sensible and were mainly sitting and chatting.

Punxsutawney Fri 27-Mar-20 13:40:43

I'm a lunchtime supervisor and am not in school at all.

All lunchtime staff had a meeting with the head last Thursday and he told us that he did not need any of us at the moment and we would be contacted when there is a date for the return to school. Not sure how it's working at my school. I think teaching staff and TA's are on a rota.

I guess all schools are working slightly differently though so it's hard to know what we 'should' be doing.

Take care but do question anything you are worried about with the Senior Leadership Team.

Makeitgoaway Fri 27-Mar-20 13:56:31

I would question how "necessary" it is to have all three of you in every day., especially if the teachers are there at lunch too.

We only have a very few children in and are treating it more like homeschooling than anything you'd recognise as normal school. The children are making their own (and the staff's) lunch with the classroom staff as an activity. We have no kitchen staff or TAs in.

1984isnow Fri 27-Mar-20 13:59:10

My mum is school cook and also cleaner in the evenings. At first they had 15 kids in. My mum and I think 3 kitchen staff were told they would have to work their normal hours but 3 days a week, including the school holidays, instead of 5 days a week term time. She would have to carry on with the cleaning hours as usual. Anyone with small children was told they could stay off.

They went down to less than 5 kids last week, majority of the remaining staff then went off as self isolating. She's now been told she doesn't need to come in for lunches, not sure yet on the cleaning.

Ohfrigginghellers Fri 27-Mar-20 14:20:19

I am a lunchtime supervisor and I'm not working.
The school has closed completely as it's a small school and I haven't been asked to go elsewhere. Think the teachers and maybe some TAs are on rota.

paul2louise Fri 27-Mar-20 15:22:57

Thanks for your replies. Do you think its worth asking the head why really we need to be there.

Punxsutawney Fri 27-Mar-20 17:16:53

paul might be worth asking about staffing numbers and how many are needed. I've had a phone call from my school today giving me a small update. I've offered my services as I don't mind going in but I'm not needed at the moment.

Grasspigeons Fri 27-Mar-20 17:26:55

I think your school could do a work around and not need lunchtime supervisors in at all or at least rotate the 3 of you reaming a bit more., so perhaps you did ine week on, two off?
How many other staff are in each day as in teachers, TAs and SLT? . Our head is covering lunch and the other staff are staggering their break so lunchtime supervisers didnt have to come in too.

paul2louise Fri 27-Mar-20 18:31:24

I think there are two staff for F, 1 &2, two for 3&4 and two for 5&6. So 6 teaching, one office staff. The head hasn't been in while I was there. I didn't work mon -wed as my husband was still working but they rang me on Thursday to see if he was still working so obviously I said he was at home so could look after my son. We never had a proper meeting before we left on Friday unlike the teachers who sorted out a rota. Quite a few staff said they could work but childcare seemed to be an issue. Now quite a few can't woremember because they either looking after someone else or self isolating. The reason they want 3 staff is that one midday looks after F,1&2, one looks after 3&4 and the other 5 &6. They are keeping the groups of children separate even tho some have siblings in other groups. So I don't really see a solution. I feel much more anxious nown. I was enjoying home schooling my son and now I am really bad tempered and shouty. I usually keep my anxious nature at bay with a run or cycle ride but now that's limited. I know it's tough for everyone. It must be very scary for the nhs staff dealing with patients so I am trying to to get a sense of perspective butility it all feels very strange

Charliebong Sat 28-Mar-20 16:09:18

I understand where you're coming from...I'm in a similar situation with over half of the lunchtime staff off in some capacity...and it's left to a few of us to cover the whole week.

Some are off because they "just feel too anxious"... difficult to be sympathetic when they're on WhatsApp spouting the "we're all in this together" , "look out for each other" etc lines. Call me a cynic but if you'd asked me 6 weeks ago who'd be off should such a hypothetical event occur, I could have named the ones staying at home , correctly as it turns out.

Sorry, I know this makes me sound like a bad person, I'm really not.

paul2louise Sat 28-Mar-20 17:27:15

I really get where you are coming from. There are several who are looking after someone who is ill but not sure what they mean by ill not necessarily the virus or having symptoms. It's making me resentful. I am also feeling bitter to parents who are just one keyworker but still sending their kids into school when they are working from home. I had to leave one of my group chats cos 2 of my friends said my kids are in school next week when I know they are at working from home.

Charliebong Sat 28-Mar-20 18:45:40

Well at least 2 of our ladies who are off are not I'll, have no one at home who's ill but say they have to look after their 10 year olds who apparently can not be left for an hour , twice a week. It will be very interesting to see what happens when we're open over Easter...these ladies will have husbands at home on holiday ..and therefore not need childcare.

Will they turn up to do their bit over what should be the Easter break? I hoping they prove the cynic in me wrong.

TheSultanofPingu Sat 28-Mar-20 21:24:58

It's a shame that there's 3 of you and not 4. You could do a week on week off rota otherwise. That's what's happening at the school I work at.
I'm a midday supervisor, but not on the rota as I go into clean every day as well, which can't be shared as I'm the only cleaner who's a key holder.

paul2louise Sat 28-Mar-20 21:43:08

Can't be sure that those who are looking after ill people are genuine either. One is self isolating and may be back on Wednesday. Another has been ill for over 2 weeks with symptoms so maybe she has it so can't ris her returning. I worry what happens if a child falls and hurts themselves. Then you can't maintain a safe distance. I have had no briefing what to do.

TheSultanofPingu Sat 28-Mar-20 21:55:27

Sorry Op, I now see that you explained why they want 3 midday supervisors. It does seem a little excessive to me. I'd try and speak to someone on Monday.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in