Talk

Advanced search

two union members in conflict

(9 Posts)
february08baby Tue 24-Mar-20 22:06:48

Myself and the person I have a grievance against (also a tribunal claim against the employer) are in the same union.

She wasn't a union member during the grievance, but she is during the appeal. I found out by getting a copy of her recent witness statement in my (crappy) appeal outcome.

I'm not sure how this will affect the support the union provides us both. We will be talking to the same workplace reps although I also have the regional officer helping me.

I guess I'm just worried that her being in a union will mean she gets away with it and that my union become less supportive of me?

Can't get a hold of anyone at the moment (obviously) but wondered if anyone had any experience of conflict between two members of the same union?

OP’s posts: |
TerribleCustomerCervix Tue 24-Mar-20 22:13:04

DH works for a union representing people.

They’d just allocate you two different reps. DH has been in this position lots of times. He doesn’t talk about the case with the colleague so they both defend their member on face value.

Tuesday66 Mon 30-Mar-20 00:23:36

That can’t be right, the union won’t help with a ongoing pre-joing issue. Contact your union & ask them.

LangClegsInSpace Mon 30-Mar-20 00:30:44

Your union should have a policy on conflict of interest.

february08baby Mon 30-Mar-20 14:00:04

@Tuesday66 I did wonder that but wasn't sure if that only applied if you were taking legal action etc so you could get someone sitting in a disciplinary etc with you from the start?

I am taking legal action through my union but afaik she isn't.

I do worry about conflict of interest so I will try to see if there is any policy.

Tuesday66 Mon 30-Mar-20 15:15:02

February08baby - I was helping someone with an issue & the I ill told her, even if she joined immediately, it would only offer support for future issues. If you’re a union member, they should offer advise with all issues, it’s all legal action.
Good luck!

february08baby Mon 30-Mar-20 16:53:09

Thanks. I would feel really let down by my union if she managed to get away with behaviours that resulted in my attempting suicide. sad

I'm struggling to get a hold of any union person at the moment. I know why but I have deadlines to meet re: next stage of appeal which my employer is not being flexible with sad

Tuesday66 Mon 30-Mar-20 23:07:28

Are you still at work? Unions have recommended all disciplinary procedures are out on hold at the moment, if this helps?
Which Union do you belong to?

february08baby Tue 31-Mar-20 12:00:32

I'm on sick leave as a result but due back soon. I am in Unison.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in