What do I do with 16 months baby during nursery closures?

(11 Posts)
Klaudiagal Sat 21-Mar-20 09:56:00

Hi, I wonder if anybody could advice? I work in investment banking (it) and as such can work from home. That is until the nursery closures.. my ds is pretty much on suicidal mission if left to his own devises and I don't think I can look after him and work at the same time..
anybody had this issue and knows what options are available / what rights we have in this case?

OP’s posts: |
Marinetta Sat 21-Mar-20 10:02:30

I have a 12 month old at home while I work. His dad is also working from home so we take it in turns to play with the baby for around 2 hours while the other one works then swap and we both work while he sleeps. I've recuced my hours to lighten my workload so there's less I need to get done each day and I can dedicate more time to my son. It's still difficult though and if this goes on for an extended period of time I'll be requesting unpaid leave so that I can look after my son.

Lazypuppy Sun 22-Mar-20 16:52:15

My work are saying clock a normal day and just do as many house as you can. I'll probably be logging on at 7pm once dd is in bed and do 2 or 3 hours

adaline Sun 22-Mar-20 17:09:11

Can you work in the evenings at all?

APurpleSquirrel Sun 22-Mar-20 17:16:26

I have a DD (5) & DS (21mths) - both DH & I are wfh & we're splitting the day between us. I do the morning till lunch & put DS down for his nap, DH does the afternoon once DS wakes up. We both can then manage around 5-6hrs. Then if necessary we can work after both are in bed. Our works are being very flexible about hours & when we work thankfully.

TheABC Sun 22-Mar-20 17:18:01

Two kids at home here. I am working in short bursts through the day and in the evening. You can only do what you can.

Undecided91 Sun 22-Mar-20 17:21:54

If you can manage working at home then do it while baby sleeps or naps etc. If you find yourself not managing any work whatsoever while he is home the I would say tell you work youre sick and this will give you 2 weeks. Its not worth stressing out. We are all in the same boat from tomorrow. Im dreading it as well although my toddler is almost 3

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Sun 22-Mar-20 17:27:08

Same as others, we have a 19 month old and will wfh in shifts, morning or afternoon and both during nap time, then catch up on emails etc at evenings and weekends. There is no other option.

Klaudiagal Sun 22-Mar-20 21:11:48

Thank you all! Yes, shifts between both parents seem a good option! I would rather avoid evenings as our routine means that we can only eat after we put baby to sleep and that is around 9pm, and after that I'm just tired. And I probably could push through, but I don't think I can do it for 3months...

OP’s posts: |
puppymouse Sun 22-Mar-20 22:31:16

DD 6 here. I've just finished her timetable for the week. I've done a mix of learning stuff, fresh air or exercise and informal creative stuff like baking and drawing. DH and I are going to tag team on half these sessions each per day and see if it works. I work Tues to Fri and can see myself working in the eves a lot.

I think it'll be done individually by discussions with managers to agree how it works.

CaptainWentworth Wed 25-Mar-20 16:11:26

What are people doing if they can’t tag team because their partner is a key worker and not working from home? DH is a GP and I normally work 4 days a week for a big 4 accounting firm. I now have our 17 month old daughter at home with me for 3 of my 4 working days. I can work in the evenings/ weekends but I won’t be able to charge my full hours and things will be unsustainable as it is.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in