Talk

Advanced search

Do HR usually take this long?

(13 Posts)
Tennisp Fri 13-Mar-20 12:00:11

Anyone with experience please. New job offered 2 weeks ago. Since then I have been in discussions with HR over starting salary. I had to submit evidence of previous payslips along with approval from new line manager. HR said they would submit this and wait for a response and it shouldn't be long. It's been 2 long weeks now. I've followed up by email a couple of times (both ignored) and rang them for an update. They said they hadn't heard back. When I asked how long these things take I was told 'how long is a piece of string?' hmm I am worrying a bit because I have already left my temping job and am thinking new position may be delayed due to coronavirus. Do HR usually take this long for a decision over starting salary to be confirmed? Is it worth chasing up again? confused

OP’s posts: |
DroppedBoxxedRuth Fri 13-Mar-20 12:03:14

It's not HR usually that makes the decision, it's the business unit.

Don't follow up again, they'll come back to you when they have an answer.

flowery Fri 13-Mar-20 12:06:52

How odd. If your new line manager has approved the salary, who are HR submitting it to? And why are previous payslips at a completely different job relevant in the slightest?

All very strange. Do you have a start date?

february08baby Fri 13-Mar-20 12:12:40

never hand your notice in until you have a job offer in writing, including salary

Tennisp Fri 13-Mar-20 12:12:47

@flowery HR said they had to submit to main HR. I don't understand it myself. Job was advertised on a salary scale and I want to be on top end of that scale because that's how much I was getting paid previously hence evidence of payslips. No start date yet because after getting the contract I didn't officially accept, instead negiotiated salary and hoped for a quick response confused

Tennisp Fri 13-Mar-20 12:16:24

@february08baby I had the job offer in writing with salary

SoloMummy Fri 13-Mar-20 12:56:12

Though they have pay ranges, often these are the whole pay band range and very few in my start at the top outside of teaching and medical professionals.

BuzzShitbagBobbly Fri 13-Mar-20 13:01:14

And why are previous payslips at a completely different job relevant in the slightest?

This is the point.

Job was advertised on a salary scale and I want to be on top end of that scale because that's how much I was getting paid previously hence evidence of payslips.

You could have been paid in brass washers or solid gold bars, it still doesn't give a new employer the right to base the salary off previous jobs. They advertised it at x, you applied and were found to be the suitably qualified candidate, therefore you should be paid X. Not "x plus/minus depending on your last job"

Can HR even do this? I mean I know they ask for relevant documentation, but payslips? is this a (for example) public sector quirk or something?

BuzzShitbagBobbly Fri 13-Mar-20 13:03:05

I had the job offer in writing with salary

To clarify, was that the salary you wanted or did you try and start negotiating after that? The former is fixed - they offer, you accept, job done. The latter is usually too late.

DroppedBoxxedRuth Fri 13-Mar-20 13:03:36

Sounds like the hiring manager had emailed you and offered you the role, staying salary, bit hadn't got it approved.

It probably will come through soon bit sounds like it has to get official approval.

I'm in HR and my hiring managers do this a lot, and it makes for a shit experience for candidates.

Try not to worry, just be patient.

Tennisp Fri 13-Mar-20 13:11:16

@BuzzShitbagBobbly @SoloMummy this is the norm in my profession. Salary scale means they advertised it as, for example, between 30k-40k. If you move between jobs in this sector you should not go down the scale. Yes it's public sector.

Tennisp Fri 13-Mar-20 13:13:26

Thank you @DroppedBoxxedRuth that's very reassuring to know smile

DroppedBoxxedRuth Fri 13-Mar-20 13:24:06

Sorry for typos! I'm in Aus, it's late and I've had a few wines blush

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in