How to say I'm leaving a job (step up) due to bullying manager- will they think I can't cope with step up?

(17 Posts)
Mums1234 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:19:06

I started new job, a wonderful opportunity, but manager is unbearable. Not explaining things, undermining me, speaks to me like piece of crap, humiliates me, micromanager etc etc

I'm not motivated, clockwatch etc which is not like me at all. Especially when i have worked so hard to get here.

I have learned things but I'm not settling in (also a psychic I regularly use said there is risk I will lose my job)

How long can I be at a step up job before I can apply for new work? I don't feel completely confident at this step up job yet, but I am capable. I don't want to continue working for him and feel empowered when I look for new work- but what do I say? The reality is that I want to leave due to him but my CV may look like I cant cope with step up.

OP’s posts: |
Hoppinggreen Sat 07-Mar-20 16:35:38

just do whatever your psychic tells you to and I’m sure it will turn out fine

Twickerhun Sat 07-Mar-20 16:39:24

Ideally more than a year I would have thought.
Have you had any longevity in a role before? If you have regularly jumped about between jobs another short term contract won’t look great.
I can happily say your psychic is reading you not the future.

Mums1234 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:08:23

I want to stay in this job- and psychic said I'm likely to lose in May. The same psychic predicted I would get this job on the right date I did.

I don't want to believe him, so rather than panic, I'm trying to plan for worst case scenario.

However, it is awful working for him

ilovepixie Sat 07-Mar-20 17:10:14

Can you ask your psychic for tonight's lottery numbers please 😂😂

Babdoc Sat 07-Mar-20 17:16:19

Do you have an HR dept? If so, report your manager for workplace bullying. Make sure you have kept a diary of dates and incidents, exact quotes of what he said etc, so you can back up all your allegations with documentation.
Once he has been spoken to by HR, keep monitoring the situation and report any further transgressions.
Just knowing he has been reported and that you are on his case, may be enough to rein him in. If he persists, he could end up on a final warning.

Mums1234 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:23:00

I have spoken to him informally and am keeping a diary. I'm not the only person to have suffered but I'm having it worse as I'm new. He is away next week (yipee!) but my next steps will be to speak to SMT informally (they have already intervened as HR useless).

However my anxiety levels are awful and I need to consider new work to feel better. It is affecting my health and learning.

BeyondMyWits Sat 07-Mar-20 17:24:11

I would just respond to any queries with "I was not a good fit for that particular post so I am thinking of my future and moving on quickly to a role that would suit me better"

Never bad-mouth a boss when applying for other work - even if they were a stinker, it will look bad on you.

Mums1234 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:26:01

Re the psychic, I'm aware you think I may be stupid but he has been 75% accurate in the past with dates and predictions. I'm safe until May 18th when I will be backstabbed, potentially lose my job- fallen tower, ten of swords, 5 pentacles cards.

user14366425683113 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:28:03

Bit of a self fulfilling prophecy though.

Mums1234 Fri 13-Mar-20 16:49:58

I have an interview- how do I explain why I want to leave? I only want to leave due to the bully manager, but as I haven't got a lot of experience how can I sell myself?

Hoppinggreen Fri 13-Mar-20 17:28:31

Just tell them your psychic told you to leave

MayFayner Fri 13-Mar-20 17:36:09

Do not say anything about your manager at your interview. Simply say that you saw the role advertised (of the interview job) and even though you have only been in your current role a short time, you did not wish to miss the opportunity to work for X company, as you have always wanted to work for them. Then back this up with some “reasons” as to why you feel that particular company is so great.

Mums1234 Fri 13-Mar-20 18:06:30

Thanks, I've never heard of the company but Im sure I will think of something x

purplelila2 Sun 15-Mar-20 17:20:22

@Mums1234 I could have written your post minus the psychic!

my manager is exactly the same the job isn't doing what was advertised.

we get shouted at and treated like kids I have no control or autonomy or decision making .

I left a job i loved for this job that was a step up.

I wish you luck in your interview x

JovialNickname Mon 16-Mar-20 21:49:23

Just make sure that you tell them that your psychic told you to do it, and that he's been 75% accurate in the past.

daisychain01 Tue 17-Mar-20 08:14:36

Just say you're looking for new career opportunities that aren't available where you're working now. I doubt they will ask why you're leaving, what's the point in that question, you'd hardly be leaving if you were deliriously happy where you are!

I'm safe until May 18th when I will be backstabbed, potentially lose my job- fallen tower, ten of swords, 5 pentacles cards.

You are joking, right?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in