Talk

Advanced search

How hard is book keeping?

(2 Posts)
Refreshed Thu 27-Feb-20 12:14:41

I've been offered an interview next week for a PA role but it includes book keeping. I don't have any book keeping experience, and the job spec did say it was needed. I'm wondering if they've made a mistake with my CV nd not realised I don't have any experience in that.

I have to admit to being a bit naive about what it actually involves. From the sound of the job spec, it certainly sounded necessary that I do it and it isn't given to someone else.

How hard is it and what's really involved, in a nutshell?

Thank you blush

OP’s posts: |
Songofsixpence Thu 27-Feb-20 12:27:42

Depends what they’ll expect you to be doing and what systems or software they use

I do bookkeeping at work - and cover all incoming and outgoing invoices, bank reconciliation, VAT returns including margin VAT, petty cash, providing P&L to the directors and stuff like that.

It’s not hard, but you have to know what you’re doing - knowing your nominal codes, journal entries, double entry bookkeeping, etc

We use Sage at the company I work for and as long as the information you enter is correct, it mostly does everything for you

I use QuickBooks for DH’s business and much prefer it - it’s much simpler to use

Our accountant gets a back up from Sage for our year end accounts, I don’t deal with that sort of stuff

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in