Health & Safety Qualifications

(11 Posts)
Stephminx Fri 14-Feb-20 08:13:04

Hi,

I’m looking to do a H&S qualification through work. It’s construction if that’s relevant.

I was thinking about a NEBOSH qualification - does anyone know how good that is, if it’s highly regarded or if there’s something better ?

Thanks guys.

OP’s posts: |
PlomBear Fri 14-Feb-20 09:02:54

NEBOSH seems to be the gold standard. Beware - it’s VERY dry!

CornishPorsche Fri 14-Feb-20 09:10:12

Which course? What is your role?

Have you looked at SSSTS/SMSTS?

Stephminx Fri 14-Feb-20 09:49:03

I’m senior management so I’ll be responsible subject for organising systems and supervising staff.

I’ve got a masters and have a science background so I’m not worried about studying as such.

Also trying to decide between certificate and diploma level.

Stephminx Fri 14-Feb-20 09:55:55

I’m also legally qualified if that’s relevant.

Stephminx Fri 14-Feb-20 10:23:00

Sorry @CornishPorsche - meant to tag you there.

CornishPorsche Fri 14-Feb-20 10:55:43

So SSSTS/SMSTS are for site supervision and site management.

Do you have an active role as a Site Manager? If not, ignore those.

Have a look at your company's responsibilities under CDM 2015, as if you are a key decision maker who influences your work is carried out, you need a working knowledge of construction site-specific H&S law and controls.

If you are more removed from the front line and construction work planning, a generic NEBOSH in H&S is probably OK.

Personally I'd say do the construction certificate, then look to do a diploma if you still want to, as there is no NEBOSH diploma specific to construction.

Stephminx Fri 14-Feb-20 11:43:30

@CornishPorsche

I’m board level so not actively on site. Site ops are limited but we have factory based stuff.

CornishPorsche Fri 14-Feb-20 12:22:09

Then perhaps the diploma in Occupational Health and Safety? It's broader than construction alone, as factory safety has its own issues (machinery guarding, manual handling, COSHH etc) which may have different controls.

Stephminx Fri 14-Feb-20 12:38:44

Brill - thanks. So helpful.

CornishPorsche Fri 14-Feb-20 12:53:16

Also, have a look at www.citb.co.uk/national-construction-college/Health-and-Safety-Courses/Directors-Role-for-Health-and-Safety/ for Directors specific training. Maybe do that before anything else? It could guide you to the next stage.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in