Doing higher paid work

(9 Posts)
Ethellsmum Fri 07-Feb-20 20:38:36

I am a band 2 in the NHS but being asked to cover for a band 3 colleague when they off sick etc.
It’s a difficult job and I’ve had no proper training. I do not enjoy the job - it’s nothing like my own job. It’s only in the last year or so I’ve had to cover and is not in my job description (worked in my role for over 10 years).

Does anyone know where I stand with covering for a higher band job? It’s not developmental so there really is no bonus for me doing the different job, just more stress.

OP’s posts: |
katielilly Fri 07-Feb-20 20:52:17

Are you in a Union?

BigFatLiar Fri 07-Feb-20 21:03:07

If you've had no training for the role are there consequences for the workplace if you mess it up? If so point it out, they need to be aware.

If its short term (day or two) to cover a brief period of illness or waiting for cover then I would say not too unfair. If its longer then they need to organise proper cover as your job will still need to be done. In either case you need to be competent to do it. If you're doing it for any real period then you should get paid the higher rate.

Also if you don't want to do it then they should get someone else.

Perhaps they feel you're ready for a bit of career development and would benefit from the experience (some employers don't get the idea that some people like the job they're doing and don't want to be developed).

daisychain01 Sat 08-Feb-20 04:27:31

It’s only in the last year or so I’ve had to cover

How many sickness or absence days have you actually had to cover for your B3 colleague? If it's all their annual leave days plus absence due to sickness that could amount to a substantial amount of cover.

What is it you are actually being asked to do - are you literally having to take on all their duties plus your own workload? If so that's a lot, and you are quite within your rights to take it to your line manager.

Is there a reciprocal arrangement for your role, ie when you're absent does a colleague have to cover all your duties? If so, they could argue it's how they operate and it isn't just you having to do it. Doesn't make it right though. What they should reasonably do is have a higher grade cover for a lower grade colleague not the other way round.

Weffiepops Sat 08-Feb-20 05:16:17

The good thing is it sounds like they trust you. If you cover the job well, you may be the next one that gets the band 3 job. I personally wouldn't complain. I've always believed that in life you get out what you put in, but you don't get it from the source you put in at, if that makes sense? It comes from another source. I worked my ass off for one company and they refused to promote me. I left and 2 jobs later I'm the big boss on a massive wage with loads of staff, most of my historic peers think my rise is meteoric but I put a hell of a lot in to previous roles and this is my reward

Ethellsmum Sat 08-Feb-20 09:28:45

I wouldn’t want the band 3 job - it’s completely different from my admin role. It also wouldn’t impact on any career progression either, there really isn’t any developmental opportunities in my role. Basically there is no one else to cover so I get told to do it.
My job is not covered at all when I am on leave.

daisychain01 Sat 08-Feb-20 19:37:35

@Ethellsmum you haven't clarified which aspects of the B3 role you are being asked to "cover" - there's a big difference between a colleague covering someone's role, ie just doing the minimum required to keep things ticking over, maybe taking any urgencies forward and progressing them to others in the department to keep things ticking over, and the colleague doing the person's entire role in addition to their own job.

What impact is it having on your hours? Are you able to get your manager to guide you in the priorities?

Ethellsmum Sat 08-Feb-20 20:13:11

The impact it has on my hours is that I don’t do any of my job when I am covering.
I’m expected to do the full aspect of the job that I am covering, in the time I am there covering.
It’s a job I hate, and not what I signed up for. I’ve decided that it is enough of an issue for me that I will look for another role.
I don’t mind covering for similar admin roles but this isn’t similar at all and makes me feel so stressed.
Thank you all for your comments.

MrsCasares Sun 09-Feb-20 13:35:05

I bet they are trying to get you to do clinical work when you are admin? Typical nhs. Speak to your union.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in