Talk

Advanced search

Absence on an extra shift

(16 Posts)
Twittlebee Wed 05-Feb-20 17:43:25

My DH was signed up to do a single extra shift however he was unaable to attend as I had started pre term labour (thankfully it stopped) which required overnight stays in hospital. He of course phoned his manager to let them know straight away, giving over 12 hours notice.

His work were initially understanding to the situation and passed on their good wishes to us both.

However upon his return to his usual shift he has had a disciplinary meeting which has seen him issued with a written warning and "sin binned" which now bars him from any additional shift work for next 3 months (this screws our saving plans over a little!).

I just wondered where he stood on this? It's only his 4th period of absence in 12 months, his first for "dependant leave". Of course we weren't expecting him to get paid for it but we are rather surprised by the disciplinary action.

OP’s posts: |
Astarsobright Wed 05-Feb-20 17:47:06

4 absences in 12 months would trigger disciplinary in my company. What does his contract say?

mummyrocks1 Wed 05-Feb-20 17:48:21

How long were the other absences? I think four periods of absence in 12 months is a lot. That's one every 3 months. Perhaps this is the automatic procedure for that many absences.?

Astarsobright Wed 05-Feb-20 17:49:20

Sorry, just seen that this was classed as dependant leave, did he make that clear or have they marked it as sickness? Was it just one shift he missed?

twinboymumma Wed 05-Feb-20 17:50:38

Check through what his absence policy says and if there's anything in his contract. If there is, there's not a lot he can do apart from argue that it was dependents leave (there might still be a clause about that).

Twittlebee Wed 05-Feb-20 17:53:35

Yes just one shift, marked down as a voluntary extra shift.

The other absences were 2 periods of sickness (both only 1 day) and the other a period of 6 shifts in wake of losing our son.

He did make it clear it was dependant leave and it has been marked down as such on his record too.

I shall ask if he can source his work's policy. I know he didnt have any luck last time he asked for it though

FuzzyAtmosphere Wed 05-Feb-20 17:54:16

Four in 12 months is a lot and it’s normal for companies to put a ban on overtime when people have a high absence rate. Sorry.

Twittlebee Wed 05-Feb-20 17:57:35

Thank you, I guess my view is obscured as my work place appears to have a very lenient absence policy! But we have very different jobs, I can catch it with my work

Twittlebee Wed 05-Feb-20 18:02:57

We were just wondering how an additional voluntary shift (that they can turn DH away from even once he has turned up to do it) can be treated same as his other shifts though? I suppose it does make sense, potentially it could screw them over if they were now reliant on him turning up like it would with a normal shift

FuzzyAtmosphere Wed 05-Feb-20 18:04:34

I think some companies find they don’t retain employees because they have little give and take. It sounds like your husband works for one of these.

I hope all goes well with the rest of your pregnancy and I’m sorry about your son. flowers

Twittlebee Wed 05-Feb-20 18:08:50

He has worked there for 9 years so pretty surprised to only be facing this now actually @FuzzyAtmosphere and thank you x

Ilikewinter Wed 05-Feb-20 18:18:50

3 absences in 12 months in my work place will trigger absence disciplinary. Even if its an overtime shift an absence would still be treated the same as a regular contracted shift.

peachgreen Wed 05-Feb-20 18:22:32

I'm so sorry about your son. flowers Sounds like they're not a very compassionate employer at all.

ClappyFlappy Wed 05-Feb-20 18:26:51

We were just wondering how an additional voluntary shift (that they can turn DH away from even once he has turned up to do it) can be treated same as his other shifts though? I suppose it does make sense, potentially it could screw them over if they were now reliant on him turning up like it would with a normal shift

You’ve said it there yourself. That’s the issue. I don’t know your husband’s sector but in something like care it could have a significant impact if the shift relies on him being there.

However dependant leave shouldn’t be treated the same as other absence and it wouldn’t seem reasonable based on the info given for that to trigger disciplinary.

ClappyFlappy Wed 05-Feb-20 18:30:19

Jeez just seen the circumstances of the other absences. How bloody heartless OP. I’m sorry, what a bloody disgusting way to treat a loyal long serving employee.

Some employers need to get their heads out of their arses and start looking at treating people with decency and instead of being blinkered by policies. If someone asked me if it was reasonably to discipline someone for 4 absences where the last one was due to a dependant going into labour and the previous one was following the death of a child I’d tell them to catch themselves on x

Xxxwhattodonextxxx Wed 05-Feb-20 22:17:45

I think he has been treated unfairly. If these absences were all for sick leave then yes I think 4 in a year is a lot but I don’t think the time off when you lost your son should be counted at all as this should be covered in bereavement leave. When he took time off for went you thought you we’re in labour that should be classed as emergency leave. Given you have both been through losing a child compassion and common sense says that he should be with you. Can he appeal? Bad decision by his manager.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in