sick pay changes

(4 Posts)
sickpayrow Fri 31-Jan-20 12:18:17

I am a nanny, caring for a child with disabilities. I have been in my role for 3 years 5 months. I work 32.5 hours a week, more in school holidays. The employment side is looked after by a case management firm overseen by parents and solicitors (it's a medical negligence claim)

When I started, the parents told me they always pay sick pay - so paid in full until SSP kicks in. My contract states SSP only

For the first 2.5 years this was true. The case management paid me with no issue. Then a new firm took over. They have refused to pay me, they have taken it to the solicitors who have now changed my contract to state I get a days in full per year worked as the parents supported me to get paid when sick

But the case management are still refusing to pay me for 3 days sick from November ( i had the flu)

Now I'm wondering, if you have a 'perk' that isn't in your contract but has been the 'norm' for 2.5 years - can I claim that I should still be entitled to the sick pay verbally agreed at the start?

In the first 2.5 years, I had just 3 days off. Since I have had 3 days off at the beginning of 2019 and 3 days in November. Not big sums but it's the principal. All illness has been contracted from the child I care for. It's a physical job so I need to be fit to carry out my duties

OP’s posts: |
strictlymomdancing Fri 31-Jan-20 16:50:08

If it was a verbal agreement then you can't prove it and may not be able to challenge it. I'd look for another job tbh

flowery Fri 31-Jan-20 22:47:29

I don’t think you could argue it has become your established terms and conditions based on six days. If they had multiple staff with frequent absences and consistently always paid, maybe.

Woeisme99 Fri 31-Jan-20 22:56:45

Surely the parents, as your employers, can state that they wish you to get sick pay and have it added into your contract?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in