Talk

Advanced search

Potential Redundancy

(6 Posts)
EnglishRose13 Sun 19-Jan-20 14:41:27

Just need a handhold really. I've never been in this position before. I only started the job nine months ago, during a period of lots of change. Those changes haven't paid off and the company isn't performing. I'm so worried. I'm the main earner in the house. I really don't think I'll find a job that pays as well. I'm worried because of Brexit. I worried because I doubt I'll go somewhere else where I genuinely like everyone (it's a small company). I just want to scream, and shout and swear.

Any stories of going through similar and coming out the other side?

OP’s posts: |
Aridane Sun 19-Jan-20 15:18:55

It's utter crap, isn't it. And comes at a time of great economic Uncertainty

I had something similar just around the crash of 2008.

I did come out the other side but it took around 2 years.

daisychain01 Sun 19-Jan-20 20:47:51

I have been made redundant twice in my career. At the time I felt it was the end of the world and that I'd never be able to find a good job again.

I did have some false starts in between, including pay drops, but ultimately I improved my career over the longer term.

In most redundancy situations it's a case of "when one door closes, another one opens", take things one step at a time atm. It can feel like a bereavement, as it involves having something taken away, but try not to dwell on that too much. If you can get some career counselling you may find alternative career options to widen your choice of jobs.

EnglishRose13 Sun 19-Jan-20 22:41:37

I have a qualification in procurement. It's all I know. I'm not really sure what else I could do!

Thank you for your words.

I do feel like it's the end of the world. Baby plans are now on hold, which is horrible. My son is almost four so I'm worrying about the age gap.

I just don't know what to do with myself.

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Sun 19-Jan-20 22:50:19

Just had a really quick look at the modules for a level 2 procurement qual just to understand the elements of the role and it looks like you would have lots of easily transferable skills.

I would consider things like project management, business analyst, compliance officer (particularly for environmental certifications like ISO14001 where there is a focus on supplier relationships, due diligence, legal & regulatory compliance....)

It would be worth writing out a couple of lists reviewing what the core elements of your current role are, what skills and experience you have and what interests you. Then start looking at job profiles.

EnglishRose13 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:11:02

Thank you, @TorysSuckRevokeArticle50. I appreciate the time you've taken.

I have a meeting to discuss option tomorrow. I've never been here before so I don't know what to expect at all.

I've also had a call from an agency regarding a job. Less money (2/3k less), more hours (39) and fewer holiday days (20) but there's potential at least.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in