Talk

Advanced search

Help - HR Advice needed please.

(8 Posts)
Whyowhy01 Mon 13-Jan-20 08:22:24

Im currently experiencing bullying from my line manager, and its making my life hell. Im feel sick to my stomach and as though I could burst into years at any moment.

I manage a team of 5, but my line manager singles me out and makes me stand outside her office when we have meetings until I'm told to come in. She has put this rule in writting to me. The others do not have to follow this rule and look bewildered when they go into her office but Im stood outside waiting to be told to come in. I feel embarrassed and belittled.

She is constantly picking faults with me. She has put me on a performance improvement plan. This is really having an impact on my self esteem and my confidence is at an all time low. She sets me up to fail, by giving me a brief that is far from what she really wants. For example, asking me to write a simple process report. Saying to me to keep it very basic and do not name roles, and that one page will be adequate. I submit it and she will pull it apart, saying why havent you stated roles, why have you used the word will, i suggest you use the word must. This 1 page will be adequate has now turned into 6 pages, because what she actually wanted was something totally different to what she really wanted.

She is unsupportive and approachable. Writting a rule to me that I can only approach her at 4pm. Nobody else in my team has been given this rule. When I approach her she talks down to me, saying I haven got time and rolls her eyes. She asked for an update, so I went at 4pm to up-date her and she instantly shut me down saying stop why are you up-dating me, dont up-date me.

I've been to talk to HR twice but nothing happened.

She leaves in 2 months but has treatened to put me on a formal performance plan before she goes.

I feel so ill by her treatment towards me. Any advice would be appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Whyowhy01 Mon 13-Jan-20 09:51:34

I also meant to say that I passed my probation and had a good first year PDR review, but she has pushed so much work onto me since that its unmanageable. Ive raised this with her, but she refuses to listen saying she hates the word busy and as a manager I should be able to manage my work without going to her, so go away.

OP’s posts: |
LennyPugGoat Mon 13-Jan-20 21:57:13

She is leaving in 2 months, can you ride it out and keep your head down?
Book a day off per week for 2 months.

Do you have anything in writing? I’d ask (at 4pm) what tasks are a priority to her and take it from there.

Fingers crossed new manager is better.

chipstickgirl Mon 13-Jan-20 22:05:17

She sounds horrific and you shouldn't have to put up with it simply because she's leaving.

It sounds like you have a very weak HR team who aren't prepared to deal with it, again thinking she'll be gone soon.

Call and speak with ACAS - generally very helpful and they'll support you having listened to the whole story.

TerribleCustomerCervix Mon 13-Jan-20 22:12:31

How long have you worked there in total?

Tbh given she’s leaving in 8 weeks, I’d be checking your sickness policy and maybe taking a few weeks off with work related stress, stating to HR that it’s directly related to the issues you’ve already raised and that haven’t been addressed.

I know people will say that’s the wrong approach but when you’re at the coal face like you are right now with an end in sight, it is an option.

midlifecrisis64 Tue 14-Jan-20 16:33:01

I agree with what has already been said - can you stick it out for 8 weeks until she leaves?

If not, do you have all of this in writing from her with examples - ie the report stuff?

I would speak to ACAS or, if you have an internal policy, put in a grievance against her. I doubt your organisation would do very much though if she's on her way out.

Well done for going in everyday and working in that kind of environment. Sounds awful.

Aliensrus Tue 14-Jan-20 16:37:50

I had a bully for a boss and tried it stick it out but it was very damaging for my confidence and I have found it hard to recover. Still impacts me professionally after 10 years.

I would seriously consider getting signed off sick for a few weeks so that you don’t have to endure 8 weeks of being broken down - speak to ACAS then get the hell out of there.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Tue 14-Jan-20 19:26:42

Stick it out for the 8 weeks.

If put on a PIP don't make a fuss or complain as you'll look like a troublemaker. Just do the PIP to the best of your ability and show your abilities, the time to complain would be if they take any action as a result of the PIP (ie at the review stage) not at the beginning as otherwise it looks like you can't take feedback. Unfair I know, but having worked in HR for 20 years that would be my advice to you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in